In any project or profession, saving time and money determines overall productivity. This is also applicable in the world of lumber / logs / lumber, which is why most manufacturers focus on making tools that simplify your work, increase productivity, save you time and money. One such tool is the chainsaw.
A chainsaw can simply be defined as a guide for your chainsaw to cut wood logs with precision. They are available in different specifications to allow different users to choose what is most compatible with their work.
To help you find the right chainsaw for your needs, we have decided to compile a thoroughly analyzed review. Read on for a complete overview of each tool before deciding which one to buy.
Our Top Pick
Last update on 2022-11-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Top 10 Chainsaw Mills To Buy In 2021
Last update on 2022-11-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
10 Best Chainsaw Mills Review
- 🌲【What is Chainsaw Mill?】MATERIAL- Made of Quality aluminum alloy + steel - sturdy&durable. The chainsaw mill can be in combination with the saw mill, creates a straight and level first cut along a log. ADJUSTABLE - Chain saw mill is suitable for chainsaws with a bar length between 14" and 36", planking milling height & width are adjustable,mill slabs between 1/2" to 12" thick. This is A Flexible Guide System.
- 🌲【Unique patented design】 The upgrade chainsaw mill is Unique on the market. We have almost completely subverted the traditional chainsaw mill in structure. We use the spliced construction, so it to be used as 3 sizes and can be used independently, which means that when you only need to cut small size wood, you don't need to use a large sawmill. This move takes portability to the next level. Of course when you assemble it to a complete sawmill, it can cut any size from 14"-36".
- 🌲【Other advantages】 1⃣ Sleek look with visual appeal.2⃣Upgraded Handle-The handle can be pulled or pushed for better force, and can be slid to adjust the position at any time. 3⃣Simpler Assembly-The latest design reduces the number of many accessory parts, quick and easy installation. 4⃣detailed instructions manul5⃣Giveaway-We're gift 4pc Felling Wedges that perfectly matched sawmill. 6⃣the scale adopts dual system (metric system + imperial system).
- 🌲【Advanced Splicing Method】Splicing accessories can be purchased in the market, which is Convenient for longer size extensions .We use state-of-the-art connection methods, Aluminum Profile + Straight Line Connector, These Straight Line Connector and Aluminum Profile are all used internationally. You can buy it in the store.（We will reflect their model in the manual.）
- 🌲【Wide Application】Using together with chainsaw to convert rough logs into beautiful slabs. Cut cedar, walnut and oak into high quality lumber. Lightweight and portable design makes this lumber cutting chainsaw guide easy to transport to remote areas, or you can mill your own lumber at home or in forest. or mill lumber where the tree falls. Perfect for homeowners, builders，arborists ,woodworkers, arborists and sawyers.
- Designed and manufactured in USA
- Mounts to chain bar with a few turns of a wrench
- Cut slabs from ½” to 13” thick, and up to 27” wide, where the tree falls
- Cut cedar, walnut and oak into high quality lumber
- Quality steel and aluminum construction
- Package Size: 98*28*7CM, Package Weight: 13.5KG
- Constructed from durable aircraft aluminum and stainless steel, lightweight but tough, sturdy.
- Mill slabs from 0.5" to 14" thick and 36" wide, meet your different demands for constructions.
- Perfect for homeowners, woodworkers, carpenters, you can mill your own lumber at home or in the woods.
- All necessary assembly and installation hardware are including for easy installation.
- 👨🔧Material: High quality aluminum and galvanized steel, durable for long lasting using.
- 👨🔧Adjustable: Saw mill fits 14"-36” in length & 36 inch in width Chainsaw Bars, adjustable thicknesses from 1/2" to 13".
- 👨🔧lightweight and tough: Turning your chain saw mill to a portable milling machine.you can mill your own lumber at home or in the woods
- 👨🔧Easy install: All necessary assembly and installation hardware are including for easy installation.
- 👨🔧100% Satisfaction Guarantee: lifetime warranty
- ULTRA-STURDY & HIGH QUALITY: Constructed from topnotch heavy-duty stainless steel and aluminum, this portable chainsaw mill can withstand years of high intensity outdoor and indoor use with uncompromised performance
- EASILY PORTABLE: The lightweight and portable design makes this lumber cutting chainsaw guide easy to transport to remote areas and suitable for outdoor work. And this 36 inch chainsaw mill can be conveniently attached to your chainsaw bar with only a few turns of a wrench
- ADJUSTABLE: Height and width can be adjusted to cut logs and planking from 1/2" up to 12" thick & 36" wide in regular piece. Portable sawmill 36 inch length fits chainsaw bar length 14"-36”
- VERSATILE: This saw milling machine is perfect for homeowners, woodworkers, and carpenters, anyone can easily turn their chainsaw into a portable mill at a low cost
- Chainsaw mill 36 inch length fits chainsaw bar length 14"-36”， Height & Width Adjustable，chainsaw mill Cutting thickness: 0.5“ To 13“ . width: 36“
- Perfect for builders, woodworkers, & outdoor enthusiastsCut Cedar, Walnut and Oak into High Quality Lumber
- High quality 304 stainless steel and aluminum construction
- lightweight and tough tool; Turning your chain saw mill to a portable milling machine.
- Product quality warranty for 10 years,100% Satisfaction Guarantee.If there is any dissatisfaction, please contact us. We will solve the problem for you within 24 hours.
- Premium Aluminum & Steel: Our chainsaw mill is made of aluminum and galvanized steel, making it rust-proof and wear-proof for long-term use. It is lightweight and portable, allowing you to start your woodworking anywhere.
- Adjustable Design: The length of the saw mill is adjustable to fit chain saws with a bar length from 14" to 36". The height is adjustable to mill slabs from 1/2" to 13" thick. Additionally, it has a graduated scale for precise cutting.
- Stable Structure: Screws ensure a stable connection. The chain saw milling features a solid structure to ensure your chainsaw slides smoothly and steadily. It also features a non-slip handle for a firm grip and an acrylic shield for avoiding sawdust.
- Easy to Assemble: The portable chainsaw mill comes with complete hardware and a pair of gloves for your effortless assembly. Clamps onto your chainsaw bar with no drilling required. You can finish the installation quickly via the instruction manual.
- Wide Application: This chainsaw milling attachment is compatible with various chainsaw and rail mill guides. It is suitable for cutting cedar, walnut, oak, and other trees into high-quality lumber. You can mill your lumber at home or in the woods.
- DURABLE & PORTABLE - Made of premium aluminum and galvanized steel, SPECSTAR chainsaw mill is sturdy enough to be used in high-intensity outdoor projects for years; The lightweight and portable design makes it easy to be taken to any remote location; Overall dimension: 35.4" × 12.6" × 18.1"
- HIGH ACCURACY - Follow the accurate measuring scales on the vertical bars to adjust screws on each side; The maximum milling thickness can reach 14"; Chain saws whose length of saw blade is between 10" and 36" all match well with SPECSTAR chainsaw mill
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE - All necessary mounting parts are included in the package; Assembly could be finished in a few minutes by following our instruction, no other tools are needed; Any problem you may encounter during mounting would be quickly responded by our professional service team
- SAFE TO USE - The unique designs ensure you great safety and convenience during milling operation; Glass protective cover prevents wood chips from splashing; U-shaped steel parts effectively protect the saw blade; Ergonomic handle helps you to achieve labor-saving and long time milling work
- WIDE APPLICATION - This high-quality chainsaw mill can process almost all wood; Perfect for woodworkers, carpenters, homeowners and outdoor enthusiasts; In addition, chainsaw driven by gasoline or electricity are both supported, choose the most suitable one according to your different needs
- 🎄【STURDY & DURABLE】- The upgrade chainsaw mill constructed from high quality aluminum and galvanized steel, these new brackets are easier to adjust and durable for long lasting using
- 🎄【SAFE & COMFORT】- Unique design for ultimate safety, the glass shield prevents wood chips flying around while the U-shaped steel part effectively protects the saw blade; the handle is wrapped with rubber for comfort
- 🎄【EASY TO ASSEMBLE】- All necessary assembly and installation hardware are including for easy installation,and comes with one set of free steel file & working gloves providing ultimate convenience for work
- 🎄【ADJUSTABLE CHAINSAW MILL】- Chain saw mill is suitable for chainsaws with a bar length between 14" and 24", planking milling height & width are adjustable,mill slabs between 1/2" to 12" thick
- 🎄【WIDELY APPLICATION】- High quality planking milling can access nearly all timber. Portable chainsaw mill is perfect for homeowners, woodworkers, carpenters
Last update on 2022-11-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
What Size Chainsaw for Milling?
Getting freshly cut lumber ready for use involves a number of processes, with one of the main being milling. If you cut down a tree, to get usable boards out of it, you first need to mill the logs down to size. Now, generally speaking, log milling is done in large-scale lumber mills, and they large machines to get the job done.
However, chances are that you probably don’t have a full scale lumber milling operation, with all the required machinery, set up in your backyard. Yet, if you didn’t already know, you can mill a log using your chainsaw, along with the appropriate attachment. Let’s talk about what kind and size of chainsaw you need to for milling, as well as some other important factors.
Why Use a Chainsaw for Milling Lumber?
You might be wondering why you would want to use a chainsaw to mill your own lumber. For one, chances are that you don’t have a lumber mill in your backyard. This would mean that after you have cut your tree (s) down, you would have to transport it to a lumber mill, which you might do on your own, or you might hire a lumber truck for the job.
Either way, you are looking at paying someone else to transport that lumber to the mill, to get it cut for you, and to then transport it back home. So, in essence, the reason you want to mill your own lumber has to do with cost effectiveness.
Transporting heavy lumber costs a lot of money, and the same goes for hiring a lumber mill to cut it down to size for you. However, with a good chainsaw of the right power and length, and the right milling attachment, you can do all of this in your own backyard totally free of cost, well, besides the initial purchase of the equipment, but still, you won’t have to hire anybody to transport and cut the lumber for you. It really is a great way to save money.
The Chainsaw You Will Need For Milling – Power and Size
The first thing that you need to look into is the chainsaw itself. You will want to invest in a fairly high-quality chainsaw, one that will last you for quite some time. It’s always a good idea to get a chainsaw that you are comfortable using. Something to keep in mind is that you do not automatically need the largest chainsaw available, just one that is ideal for dealing with the size of logs you plan on milling.
When it comes to the size of the chainsaw you need, a lot depends on the size of the logs being milled. If you are simply sawing down whole trees, it might be fine to go with a smaller chainsaw. If you have a small chainsaw, it might take more time and effort to cut down a tree than with a much larger saw, but generally speaking, you can still get the job done. However, in terms of milling that log into boards once the tree has been cut down, you need something large, smooth, and powerful enough to efficiently mill the lumber.
Engine Power – the CCs
What is important is engine power. When milling lumber, the engine power of the chainsaw will determine how much effort you need to put into milling, how long it will take, and how smooth the job can get completed. Usually, for most milling purposes, a 50cc chainsaw should do just fine, at least for everything but the largest of jobs.
That being said, the heavier and more powerful the chainsaw is, the faster you can get the job done, the smoother the cuts are going to be, and the easier to control the chainsaw will be as well. Therefore, for the best results, you want a chainsaw with a lot of engine power. If you are serious about milling your own lumber, and you have some large and knotted logs that need dealing with, you might want to invest in a 100cc chainsaw.
The other important factor to consider is how long the chainsaw is, specially the arm and the chain. For most purposes, an average 20-inch chain should do just fine. That said, do keep in mind that 20 inches is not all that long, and if you are dealing with very large logs, you will want to go for something longer than that. You may need a chainsaw with a chain length up to 30 inches, or more. Remember that how long the chain needs to be depends on the diameter of the logs being milled.
Simply put, as long as the saw is long enough to make its way through the diameter of the log, you should be good to go. So, keep in mind that there really is no general rule of thumb here. The size of chainsaw you need, in terms of chain length, depends on the size of lumber being milled.
What to Look for Before Buying?
Chainsaw mills are arguably an economical way to convert your rough logs/timbers into accurate lumber. But you might want to ask yourself, how do I choose the right chainsaw mill for this purpose?
Well, our detailed buying guide will show you some factors you need to consider before purchasing your preferred chainsaw mill.
The portability of the mill is an important factor to consider. However, you can buy something more permanent if you’ll be working on one site.
But if you will be moving between different site locations, it is advisable to go for something portable and lightweight. Chainsaw mill shouldn’t weigh you down, that’s why we’ve handpicked the ones with lightweight and portable designs for you.
The second thing to consider is the bar fittings of your preferred chainsaw mill. Certainly, it varies from one model to another.
You should make sure the saw bar fittings of the preferred chainsaw mill are compatible with your chainsaw. Considering that chainsaw bars are not extendable in any way; you must purchase a chainsaw mill with bar fittings that’ll match your chainsaw size.
You might need to buy a new chainsaw mill if you ended up with bar fittings that are smaller or bigger than the size of your chainsaw.
Durability and Construction
Honestly, durability is one of the most important things people look for when buying a chainsaw mill. Having been designed for cutting of rough logs and heavy-duty milling in harsh, abusive conditions with environmental elements like water, a chainsaw mill needs to be rugged, sturdy, and resilient.
You should go for a chainsaw mill that is well-constructed with the composition of steel, aluminum or even the combination of the two.
Steel is more durable than aluminum but heavier while aluminum is lightweight, making the mill more portable.
You should know that not all chainsaws are compatible with every chainsaw mill. Some models may have the chainsaw attached to the bar directly while others require that you drill through the bar to attach the chainsaw.
Make sure your chainsaw is compatible with your preferred chainsaw mill so that you won’t end up purchasing another one entirely.
Also, if you’re planning on cutting dense wood or rough logs, your chainsaw engine must have at least 50cc of displacement volume to have adequate power to make smooth and accurate cuts.
Lastly, the cutting depth is another factor to consider before making a chainsaw mill purchase. It determines the board thickness that your chainsaw mill can cut.
Most models come with an adjustable cutting depth to cut different board thicknesses. The cutting depth limit normally ranges from ½ inches to 12 inches in thickness, although some high-end models can cut even cut up to 13 inches deep.
The chainsaw mill that we recommend to consumers the most is the Logosol Timberjig.There are many chainsaw mills that are great products in this review. Even so, they pretty much all do the same things, and offer nothing really different or unique. The Timberjig from Logosol is not just any chainsaw mill.
It is designed to be smaller, lighter, and can be used pretty much anywhere. You can use this with most chainsaws, cut almost any kind of wood, and do tasks almost anywhere. You can chop down a tree in the forest and create lumber right on the spot without having to pick up the log and transport it to a bench or other surface.
This mill is set at a reasonable price, and assembly is fairly easy and straightforward. Every mill in this review requires you to build it, and this is the easiest mill to assemble and get running in no time.
It does not matter if you are a beginner or an expert at milling lumber, anyone that needs to create wooden boards will find using the Timberjig to be easy, enjoyable and fun. This mill can truly change the way that you look at sawmilling, even if it is just a mill that is designed for personal use.
What are the benefits of acquiring a chainsaw mill?
- Saves time – You don’t have to wait for the transportation of the logs to another site for milling. You bring the mill to the logs and turn them to lumber on site.
- Saves money – getting your logs cut into lumber by other people or big sawmills is not cheap. When you buy your mill, you will be able to save a lot of money in the long run.
- Creates accuracy – chainsaw mills eliminate any guesswork when cutting up beams. They have calibrations, and they ensure that you cut the exact lumber size that you require.
Is it possible to use larger mills with small chainsaw bars?
Yes, it is. Most sawmills can be adjusted to accommodate even the smallest chainsaw bars.
What is a Saw Kerf?
A saw kerf is the size of the thickness that a saw cuts through a beam or lumber. Most chainsaws have a saw kerf of around 3/8″.
What is the major limitation of most chainsaw mills?
The fact that most chainsaw mills have a limit to the size of the chainsaw bar they can work with is a significant limitation. This is because it tends to dictate the maximum width of logs you can cut when using that specific chainsaw mill.