Don’t have time or are you too lazy to go to the gym to exercise? Then invest in the best recumbent exercise bike on our list to stay in shape at home.
Some people find it difficult to maintain an exercise routine with exercise at the gym or fitness clubs, especially using high-pressure, high-energy equipment, such as treadmills or stationary bikes. However, some moderns may even cause health risks instead of improving fitness if they are not within their resilience. The best recumbent stationary bikes can be ideal for solving these problems.
Our Top Pick
Last update on 2021-04-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Top 10 Best Recumbent Bikes To Buy In 2021
Last update on 2021-04-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
10 Best Recumbent Bikes Review
- Bluetooth connectivity, syncs with the Schwinn Trainer App and other apps for fitness tracking
- Sync with free downloadable RideSocial App and see the world as you virtually ride alongside friends in real time
- 29 programs: 12 profile, 9 heart rate control, 4 custom, 2 fitness test, 1 quick start. Plugs into any standard electrical wall outlet on a 110V-120V circuit. 120V 60Hz AC input; 1.5A output. 90-240V, 50-60Hz adapter included
- 25 levels of resistance for a wide range of workout intensity options
- High speed, high inertia drive system with a perimeter weighted flywheel for easy start up and smooth, consistent workouts
- With enhanced Bluetooth connectivity, users can set, track and monitor progress with popular app based tracking tools
- Dimensions: 65.3" L x 28.3" W x 49.6" H; Product Weight: 91.9 pounds
- Access the Explore the World app and digitally immerse yourself in a world of virtual courses, exotic locales, and stunning trails from around the globe, 3 free courses available; Unlock more with explore the World app subscription
- DualTrack blue backlit LCD console displays 29 customizable workout programs
- 25 levels of resistance for a wide range of workout intensity options
- MAGNETIC TENSION: Modifying resistance on this in-home cardio machine is easy. Use the console to cycle through 16 levels of computer-controlled magnetic resistance.
- WORKOUT MODES: This magnetic recumbent bike is equipped with 12 workout presets. You can also cycle through manual, user-customizable, target heart rate and wattage workout modes to test your cycling stamina.
- DEVICE HOLDER: Watch your favorite workout videos, television shows, or browse the web when you place your phone or tablet in the device holder while you work out.
- PULSE GRIPS: This bike has two seat-level pulse sensors that are easy to grab while you work out. Use the data from the pulse sensor to gauge your performance. Grab the ergonomic handlebars to maintain your balance while you exercise.
- COMFORTABLE DESIGN: Enjoy both quick and enduring exercise sessions on the wide bike seat and mesh back support. The step-through design makes it easy to mount. Place your feet in the wide foot pedals that have straps for a secure fit.
- HEAVY-DUTY CONSTRUCTION: This equipment features a high-grade steel frame that combines design and performance. The step-through design facilitates quick entry and exit from the bike. The heavy-duty construction can support a user weighing up to 300 lbs.
- 15 WORKOUT PROGRAMS: Created for fitness enthusiasts of all skill levels, the AMZ-587R comes with 15 programs that can simulate the effects of biking in different terrains, allowing you to personalize your training.
- ERGONOMIC HANDLES AND SAFETY PEDALS: This gear has textured pedals with straps to prevent your feet from sliding. Its two pairs of contoured handles allow for comfortable gripping when you’re sitting up or sitting farther back during exercise.
- TRACK YOUR PROGRESS: This bike comes with a handy LCD monitor that lets you check distance traveled and current speed while keeping track of time elapsed and calories burned. Equipped with pulse sensors, the machine monitors your heart rate.
- ADJUSTABLE SEAT: This recumbent bike boasts an adjustable padded seat that can be moved forward or backward while slightly adjust the elevation to accommodate each individual user’s leg length. This system allows for quick adjustment of the seat.
- This item benefits from an Extended 90 Day Return Window
- STEP-THROUGH DESIGN – Featuring heavy-duty construction 14-gauge steel tubing with a powder coated finish, the step-through design allows maximum mobility during training for quick mounting and dismounting that is created easier for the knees and back.
- EIGHT RESISTANCE LEVELS – This stationary bike uses a magnetic resistance mechanism with 8 levels of resistance. The tension knobs control the difficulty to simulate riding on different terrains and customize your workout according to fitness level!
- EASY-TO-READ COMPUTER SCREEN – The ultra-functional LCD computer screen acts as a odometer and has a sharp panel display that shows time, speed, distance, and calories burned in extra-large numbers for great readability.
- COMFORTABLE PADDED SEAT – The equipment has an ergonomically designed saddle furnished with comfortable high-density foam. It features contoured foam-covered handles for extra support of the back and arms to help maintain proper form when exercising.
- High quality construction with Lifetime frame and 7 year parts Warranty
- Product size – 49" L x 27" W x 43" H | Weight – 115 lbs. | Weight limit – 350 lbs. | Magnetic resistance – 16 levels | Fits users between – 5’ and 6’4”
- Hand held Heart Rate contact sensors and included wireless Heart Rate strap
- Narrow Q factor distance between pedals making for an extremely ergonomically correct ride
- Assembly required | Seat frame tilt adjustment to allow users to customize their body angle and position
- Convenient walk-thru design
- 24 programs including 12 pre-set, 4 heart rate, 1 target hear rate, 1 body fat, 1 watt, 4 user-defined and a manual program
- Large 5" x 2.5" dual color backlit LCD display is easy to read
- Audio Jack and speakers for MP3 player built into the console
- 24 levels of electronic resistance provide a variety of exercise options for all fitness levels
- 【8 Level Magnetic Resistance】This indoor recumbent exercise bike with 8 levels magnetic resistance provides an optional level of tension control which can customize exercise difficulty by adjusting the tension knob. The magnetic resistance mechanism also ensures your smooth and super quiet riding experience without worrying about disturbing your families or neighbors.
- 【Adjustable Padded Seat】The stationary bike has an ergonomically designed seat and backrest furnished with high-density foam making you feel comfortable when exercising. With the adjustable seat lever, it is easy and quick to move the seat back or lean forward, making it possible for almost every user to ride.
- 【Unique Handle Pulse Design】The handles of the exercise bike are padded with vinyl foam to provide a solid grip for a comfortable workout. What's more, our Magnetic Recumbent Bike has built-in hand-grip heart rate sensors located in the rear wrap-around handlebars so you can stay in a comfortable, reclined position for heart rate readings.
- 【LCD Monitor & Tablet Holder】The multi-function window LCD screen that tracks distance, calories burned, time, speed, scan and heart rate information. And the tablet support is convenient for watching movies when training which achieves a win-win situation in exercise and entertainment.
- 【Easy to Move】Convenient transport wheels allow you to easily move the cycle bike to wherever you want without lifting it. The solid construction can support a user weighing up to 300 lbs and ensure a long-term use with almost needs no maintenance.
- 【8-LEVEL MAGNETIC RESISTANCE】The magnetic resistance can give you a smooth and whisper quiet riding experience, no worry to bother family members. 8-level magnetic resistance system customizes your workout and almost needs no maintenance. The max. weight capacity is 300 LBS.
- 【PADDED SEAT with ADJUSTABLE LEVER】Ergonomically designed seat and backrest furnished with comfortable high-density sponge. With the seat adjustable lever, it is easy and convenient for you to move the seat front/back, achieving to customize the fit for almost every user.
- 【ERGONOMIC HANDLES with PULSE】The handles of the bike are padded with vinyl foam to provide a solid grip for a comfortable workout. And it could trace your heart rate.
- 【LCD MONITOR & IPAD HOLDER】The LCD monitor displays and tracks your exercise data, including time, speed, distance, calories burned, and heart rate. The iPad holder can allow you to enjoy the exercise and entertainment simultaneously.
- 【Easy To Move】With transportation wheels, easy to move the exercise to wherever you want. Enjoy the fun of exercise easily
- 【Smooth & Quiet Recumbent Bicycle】Featured highest quality 8 neodymium magnets, the resistance is greater and more uniform, longer life than other magnetic bike. Superb process of the external magnetic flywheel and dual-belt system brings smoother, quieter workouts.
- 【Ergonomic Design】Large seat and backrest takes the pressure off your tailbone and spine. Recumbent stationary bike offers a low-impact legs exercise free from joints pain, increase circulation, builds endurance. Perfect for physical therapy, rehab and elderly parent.
- 【8 Levels Magnetic Resistance】JEEKEE sit down exercise bike comes with 8 adjustable levels of magnetic tension, easy to customize your workout difficulty according to fitness level by the knob. Heart rate monitor let you know how hard you workout.
- 【Science Workout】LCD monitor on exercise bike tracks your fitness data, like time, speed, distance, calories burned and odometer. The iPad holder allows you to watching TV or video gaming while cycling. This stationary bike providing an easy but effective way to keep fit.
Last update on 2021-04-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
What are The Best Recumbent Exercise Bikes?
There are up to 23 best recumbent exercise bikes based on lots of brilliant features and utility for a wide range of options. After comparing all items in the list, we would like to vote Marcy ME-709 Recumbent Exercise Bike is the best recumbent exercise bike for quality and cost, and the 3G Cardio Elite RB Recumbent Bike as a worthwhile investment.
This doesn’t mean that you overlook the rest; just read throughout for careful consideration to make an ultimate purchase. Here is the entire list of top best recumbent exercise bikes:
Recumbent Exercise Bikes’ Buyer Guide: How To Choose A Right Recumbent Exercise Bikes?
As a smart consumer, you should make some effort to learn more about what you intend to make a purchase. Reading so many advertisements with appealing words may give you several suspects or confusing emotions. Therefore, here are some buying guides for you to identify what factors to focus while taking into account the best recumbent exercise bike by yourself.
In this way, you might feel more pleased and secure with your own decisions thanks to understanding.
Design of seat and pedals
In general, there are two main parts that you need to take more concentration because of their direct effect on utility.
The first one is a seat, where you sit on all the time exercising with the bike. You can choose one padded with foam for comfort and adjustable for moving around your house if necessary. Since it is a recumbent exercise bike, the seat is equipped with a backrest to allow your back leaning on it. While you are doing workouts with repeated legs and inside muscles, your body can be too hot to sweat. Consequently, the design of mesh with lumbar support aims to increase airflow, prevent overheating.
Plus, the handlebars attached to the seat should feature a soft foam padding with a non-slip grip to limit accidents. They also have dual pulse sensors for real-time reading on the machine’s LCD monitor.
The second one is a pedal, which the foot places on to circle the flywheel to create energy burning calories. In terms of appearance, it is necessary to have surfaces highly textured to avoid slipping during workouts. These pedals feature how high it is to fit with users, whether their legs are in line with the seat or with the body’s natural position.
Almost the best recumbent exercise bikes are equipped with magnetic resistance, drag against a central flywheel by using magnets. Besides, there is also resistance using fan wheels, but it doesn’t control and a magnetic flywheel. In comparison, beforehand, one is more smooth, durable, and quiet.
Some bikes offer a wide range, up to more than 20 ones for resistance levels, while others give less than lighter workouts. Those who used to have more experience with high-pressure exercise, several levels are fine. Meanwhile, beginners should choose these bikes with lots of levels because it is simpler to upgrade gradually from a lower level instead of being exhausted from a high one at first.
For this or other reasons, a wide range of resistance levels has smoother transitions as increasing tension while only a few levels provide larger gaps for more pressure for the first time.
What makes a recumbent exercise bike modern is technology applied for supportive features. This means that there is a console illustrating for you some statistical data such as: tracking heart rate, measuring the number of calories burned, pre-programmed workout programs based on user profiles (age, weight, goals, etc.).
These pieces of information can be connected to fitness apps for data tracking through Bluetooth connectivity. Some machines integrated built-in speakers for listening to music through an mp3 player or smartphone.
For serving well for each demand, the console can display with a suitable form. Seniors need to choose which is easy to look at and set up with exact information. Anyway, bear in mind that you should ask yourself how much data or functionality you want to know with practical technology applications because it decides your purchase price.
7 Benefits of Recumbent Exercise Bikes
Indoor cycling has become one of the most effective ways to help you burn your calories. Traditionally, you can see lots of people do their workouts with upright bikes. However, owning a recumbent exercise bike will benefit you a lot over the traditional ones. Let’s take a closer look at their advantages. I’m sure you will get yourself one after reading this part.
Easier on the back
When you just look at the design of recumbent bikes, you might know that it will make you feel more comfortable in your lower back. Unlike upright bikes, this new type will help you significantly decrease the time you’ll spend during your exercise session. Moreover, it reduces the possibility of getting injured for some people, especially when you’re old and your back is not as strong as younger ones.
Less stress on the joints
The seat is typically designed to support your lower back. And because you don’t have to place all of your body weight on the pedals like you do on upright bikes, you will get a lower risk of knee and ankle trauma during your hard workout session. This, as a result, improves your exercising effectiveness without overly stressing your joints.
A one-stop solution for all fitness levels
Recumbent exercise bikes are a comprehensive solution for all fitness levels. Especially, they work for all ages while they don’t put too much pressure on sore joints. What’s more, they offer you a serious injury-free workout.
They are also great for those who suffer from debilitating health problems. These people can have a relaxed and hurting-free workout session because recumbent exercise bikes provide you with different levels of magnetic resistance.
Recumbent exercise bikes offer a variety of options for different fitness levels. It allows you to add more upper body weight for more strenuous exercise. You can try from easy flat slopes to more challenging and challenging uphill marathon levels. You will not also need to put much effort into your knees and ankles while getting effective results.
Recumbent bikes let you do various things while exercising. You don’t need to use your hands because of the available bucket seat. You can read your favorite magazine, call your friends, watch a film, or play a game while doing a workout on this bike.
Recumbent bikes come in a larger seat than upright models. Therefore, you will feel more comfortable while working out. It also provides you with better stability. While some people feel daunting while pedaling on an upright bike due to its higher seat position, exercising with a recumbent bike makes it easier for you to sit. Hence, you can extend your workout period.
So, those who have problems with a small seat can consider replacing your old traditional upright bike with this new model.
According to some research, working out on a recumbent bike can burn more calories and target more muscles than on an upright stationary bike, particularly the thighs, lower legs, glute muscles, and from a very different angle.
It will help you gradually build your muscle; however, if you have any pre-existing medical problems and haven’t exercised a lot in a while, consult your doctor before starting any exercise routine.
There are so many things that have made recumbent road bikes popular among cyclists. Anyone who has tried these bikes falls in love with them. Not only are they comfortable and simple to ride but also fun to ride. For instance, a three-wheeled recumbent road bike requires no balance so you just need to ride and enjoy the nice views. Here are more reasons why recumbent road bikes are popular.
Why Recumbent Road Bike Is So Popular?
- Comfort: This is probably the main reason why many people choose to ride recumbent bikes. Young and seniors enjoy a natural posture because the neck doesn’t get sore and you can see what is around you. You will feel comfortable even when you are riding for long hours without experiencing any sore spots on your body.
- Speed: Recumbent road bikes can go faster as compared to standard bikes. This is because of their aerodynamics making the fastest bikes you will ever come across. The low sitting position makes the bikes ride faster as compared to riding at a higher elevation. Additionally, there is less wind and the proximity to the ground makes their speed high.
- Safety: Bicycle accidents are common on the road and they can be fatal if you don’t have the right protective gear. But when it comes to recumbent road bikes fall, you will just fall next to your bike. There are no chances of running over the handlebars and landing on the ground on your head like in the traditional bikes.
In fact, it is rare to hear cases of crashes when you are riding a trike. Riding a recumbent road bike is safe because there is a shorter distance to fall on the ground as compared to the higher bikes.
- Great View: Riding a recumbent road bike is fun because you will enjoy nice views. It is easy to things that you can’t actually see when you are riding an upright bike. Additionally, you can cover a long distance without your neck getting tired.
- Great for people with stress injuries and disability: If you have repetitive stress injuries on different parts of your body like back, neck or knees, you can still ride recumbent road bikes. These are injuries that prevent people from riding normal bikes. The upright seating posture of recumbent road bikes eliminates stress on your arms and neck.
Factors To Consider Before Purchasing A Recumbent Bike
- Height and Weight Capacity: Go for a bike with a wide range of height and weight options. This ensures more people at your home can use the bike with ease.
- Ergonomic Seat: This is especially important with adults using the bike. They got to feel comfortable while on the bike. Go for a machine with a foam cushion and a mesh backrest. Also, these must be adjustable to ensure proper posture.
- Flywheel Mechanism: The flywheel mechanism will allow the pedal to be moved both ways. This is an important feature to break the monotony of having to pedal only in one direction.
- Transportation Wheels: These are heavy machines. Transportation wheels allow for easy movement around the house.
- Backlit LCD: A backlit screen offers a better view of the data displayed.
- Minimum Magnetic Resistance Levels: A minimum of 8 magnetic resistance levels offer a good variety and intensity to the workout.
- Warranty: A machine coming with at least 2 years of manufacturer’s warranty is preferable.
Which Recumbent Bicycle Should You Buy?
Your choice of recumbent bike will probably depend on three factors:
- How often and how intensely you intend to exercise.
- How much statistical data you want to extract from your machine.
- Your budget.
Some recumbent bicycles offer more resistance levels than others. Some offer preset programs so that you don’t have to think in order to vary your workout, you just select the right button.
Some provide more feedback about such things as the virtual distance you’ve covered, your heart rate, and the calories you’ve burned while exercising.
If you’re going to use your recumbent stationary bicycle a lot then you might want to invest in a higher end machine that provides more resistance options and better feedback.
However, these tend to be more expensive, so you must carefully balance your requirements against your finances.
Recumbent bikes offer low-impact exercise options at a lesser cost. These are specifically suitable for senior adults or those recovering from an injury. Ensure the bike you purchase suits your weight and height requirements. The bike also must be comfortable for your workout to be effective. We hope this article will help you make an informed purchase.
FAQs For Recumbent Exercise Bikes
Shopping for your first recumbent bike can be a little stressful, especially if you have concerns about purchasing, building, storing, and using your new exercise equipment. We get questions all the time about how to purchase a recumbent bike. Hopefully our answers to them will help you as well.
Q: Are recumbent bikes ideal for older adults?
A: A recumbent bike is very well suited to older adults as well as those with physical limitations. This is because it is much easier to get onto and off of it, compared to ellipticals or spinning bikes.
Q: How can I make the seat of my bike more comfortable?
A: Depending on the type of bike, the seat they offer may not be the most comfortable for you, even though it is just fine for someone else. If you need to add a bit of padding to the seat, you can use a foam or gel seat cushion. If you’d like to replace the seat altogether, many manufacturers offer replacement seats that may better suit you.
Q: How do I maintain my recumbent bike?
A: A recumbent bike is very easy to maintain. Once or twice a month, you should go over all bolts and other fasteners to make sure everything is still secure. There are specific ways to keep your form of resistance running properly.
You may have to oil some of the moving parts. Fan resistance will likely need to be dusted off, much like a traditional cooling fan. However, the directions needed to properly maintain your bike are usually always included with your newly purchased recumbent bike.
Q: Is a recumbent bike a good workout?
A: A recumbent bike is the perfect addition to your workout routine. You can work up a sweat without hurting your joints and since you use it indoors, you can cycle year round!
Q: Can I use my bike for HIIT training?
A: While a recumbent bike won’t work quite as well for High-Intensity Interval Training, or HIIT, than an indoor cycling bike, it is still possible. Some models even come with preset interval training programs to help you get started with it.
Q: What is the best recumbent bike for home use?
A: We felt the Stamina Elite was the best recumbent bike for home use because it was not only easy to move around your house, it worked out your arms as well. It is a quality bike with a reasonable price tag.
Q: How do I know my bike is properly adjusted for my height?
Tips For Using Your Recumbent Bike
Let’s now cover a few helpful tips on how to get the most out your new recumbent bicycle.
Tip #1: Stretch Out Before Getting on the Machine
Just as with any other type of exercise, you want to stretch beforehand. Since the recumbent bike focuses on your legs, you will want to stretch your quads by pulling your ankle behind your buttocks.
You can stretch your calves and hamstrings by sitting on the floor with your feet straight and holding onto your toes. There are many stretches available for the lower body so choose some that best match your fitness level.
Tip #2: You Need to Spend Some Time Warming Up
Stretching is not the same as warming up. Even if you spent plenty of time stretching, you shouldn’t climb onto the bike and go as fast as possible with as much resistance as you can. Spend 5 to 7 minutes going at a slow and steady pace to effectively warm up your leg muscles.
Tip #3: Choose the Proper Resistance
If you want to build up leg strength, a strong resistance can help. If you want to get your heart rate elevated, you want less resistance so you can move faster. However, the right resistance will ideally allow you to do both.
Tip #4: Try Different Types of Training
Some choose to stick to the same resistance during their workout. However, interval training can help you by going back and forth between fast movement with little resistance and slower movement with higher resistance. You can also choose to focus on only cardio with less resistance.
Tip #5: Proper Duration for Your Needs
It is recommended that everyone gets at least 30 minutes of cardio training each day, for 3-5 days a week. However, if you are targeting your efforts on weight loss, you may need between 60 and 90 minutes a day for at least 5 days a week. You should set up a recumbent bike workout routine that best matches your goals.
A: Making sure the seat is properly adjusted to your height is important. You can hurt yourself if you are too far away and it can be very uncomfortable if the seat is too close. When your leg is extended on the pedal farthest away from you, your knee should have a slight bend.