If you followed the planning steps to assess whether a small wind power system will work at your location, you will already have a general idea of:
The amount of wind on your site
Zoning requirements and agreements in your area
The savings, the return and the incentives to install a wind system at your location.
Now is the time to analyze the problems associated with installing the wind system:
Locate or find the best location for your system
Estimate the system’s annual energy output and choose the correct turbine and tower size
Decide whether you want to connect the system to the mains or not.
Our Top Pick
Last update on 2022-11-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Top 10 Best Home Wind Turbines To Buy In 2021
Last update on 2022-11-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
10 Best Home Wind Turbines Review
- ★ Feature: Starting with 2.5m/s Low wind speed; Low vibration during working; High wind energy efficiency. Wind turbine kit suitable for boat, RV, cabin, home, etc.
- ★ Wind Blade: 23.8 inch in length, the longer blade will generate more power. The blades are made of Nylon carbon fiber which special on waterproof, corrosion resistant, lightweight.
- ★Wind Generator: Three-phase permanent magnet synchronous motor. Efficient and compact ac generator with high performance NdFeB permanent magnet.
- ★Rotating Aluminum Alloy Body: With yaw adjustment system, the wind direction position is automatically read and the rotor position is adjusted to capture the maximum wind energy. The tail fin is designed according to the aerodynamic principle.
- ★Real Parameter, Not False: Our product parameters are Real & Actual, not False. Base on designed after repeated experimental testing. Pls remember to contact us if you have any questions after received wind turbine. We should take charge of our product.
- 1. Principle: horizontal shaft wind turbine generator, refers to the horizontal installation of shaft, parallel to the ground. The wind drives the blades to generate kinetic energy, which in turn drives the engine to generate electricity. Core components: blade + generator (engine) + rotating body + wind tail
- 2. Wind blade: 37.4 inch in length, made of nylon carbon fiber. The longer the blades are, the more kinetic energy they generate and the more power they produce. Nylon material waterproof, corrosion resistant, lightweight, high efficiency.
- 3. Generator: three-phase permanent magnet synchronous motor. Efficient and compact ac generator with high performance NdFeB permanent magnet. A fully integrated voltage regulator that automatically shuts down when the battery is fully charged. The fan is controlled by MPPT intelligent microprocessor, which can effectively adjust current and voltage
- 4. Rotating body: with yaw adjustment system, the wind direction position is automatically read and the rotor position is adjusted to capture the maximum wind energy. The tail fin is designed according to the aerodynamic principle, with low starting speed and low vibration.
- 5.Remarks: our products are designed after repeated experimental testing, and the parameters are real, not false. Wind turbine parameters can be customized, please contact us in time if you have any questions. Shipping time need 7-15 days
- 【WIDE APPLICATION】: This product is widely used for charging boats, terraces, cabins or mobile homes, etc.
- 【ADJUSTING VOLTAGE AND CURRENT】: The product can effectively adjust current and voltage and improve wind energy utilization.
- 【MATERIALS】: The product is made of high-quality materials, resistant to high temperatures, and guarantees the speed of power generation.
- 【STABLE OPERATION】: The durable parts of this product adopt a three-phase AC permanent magnet synchronous generator, which has stable operation, low noise and long service life.
- 【EASY TO INSTALL】: The product is well made and the wind turbine is easy to install, maintain and repair.
- [Low Start-Up Speed]:ECO-WORTHY 400W Wind Turbine Generator has a low start-up speed of 5.6mph (2.5m/s), generating power even when the wind is not that strong.
- [Enhanced Blade]:3 enhanced nylon fiber blades made by precision molding make it lightweight, durable, low noise and low vibration.
- [PWM Hybrid Controller]:The Wind Turbine Generator Power Kit includes a 20A PWM Hybrid Controller for battery protection. It can automatically shut down when the battery is fully charged, protect it from overcharge and short circuit. It's can also be connected to solar panels for hybrid power generation.
- [Various Applications]:The Wind Turbine Generator is designed for both land and marin uses. It's suitable for your house, farm, gazebo, rv and boat.
- [Maintenance-free]:Our Wind Turbine Generator is made of carbon fiber composite and cast-aluminum, making it durable and maintenance-free. You can install it outdoor regardless of environment, weather and seasons.
- Well suited for the leisure sector, it is famous for battery charging on boats, gazebos, chalets or mobile homes
- Wind generator rated power: 400W;Rated Voltage: DC27-54V;Battery Voltage:DC12V;Number of Blades: 3
- Material of Wind Leaf: PBT;Start-up Wind Speed: 2.5m/s(8'/s);Rated Wind Speed: 12m/S(35'/s);Rated Speed: 800r/min
- Human-friendly design wind turbine, easy to install and maintain, high wind power utilization, light, cute, low vibration
- Blades using reinforced glass fiber, helped with optimized structure and aerodynamic shape.Easy DIY installation methods with all materials provided
- [21% High Efficiency]:400W Wind Turbine Generator has a low start-up speed of 5.6mph and can withstand the maximum wind speed is 78.3 mph.Support all day power generation, with utilization rate up to 21%.Three enhanced nylon fiber blades made by precision molding make it lightweight, low noise, low vibration and durable,which solved the problem that solar panels could not work at night or when the sun is not strong enough.
- [Intelligently PWM Hybrid Controller]: Match a 20A Hybrid Charge Controller.Provide Blake Protect when battery full or wind more than 78.3 mph which can automatically shut down.Protect battery from overcharge and short circuit to ensure the safety of the system in use.And provided a 29ft Wind Turbine Extension Cable from wind turbine to controller for daily use.
- [Powerful Pure Sine Wave Inverter]:1500W Pure Sine Wave Inverter transforms 24V DC power into 100/110/120V AC for consumer electronic needs.It is capable of producing cleaner, smoother, quieter, and more reliable electricity to operate tools, fans, lights, and other electronics without interference.
- [100AH GEL Battary]:ECO-Worthy 100AH GEL Battery is perfect for solar wind off-grid system. It's rechargeable and maintenance-free. You can use them in your house, farm, RVs, boat and trolling motors.
- [Package Include&Expandable]:The package included 2*195W 18V Mono Solar Panels + 1*1500W 24V Off-grid Inverter + 1*16ft Solar Cable + 1*400W Wind Turbine + 2*100Ah GEL Batteries + 1*29ft Wind Turbine Cable. The system can add up to 4pcs solar panels and 2 100AH GEL batteries of the same type.
- 400W FIVE Blades Wind Turbine with a 2.5m/s start up speed for constant and efficient power generation ,exceeding a similar THREE Blades wind turbine. Using patented permanent magnet generator and special stator. Effectively reducing torque resistance and guarantees the stability.
- Daily output 4 KWH in ideal conditon. It also works when there is only wind power or solar power, getting hybrid or single power.
- Great for all off-grid installations on motorhome, house,home roof,garage,garden,cabin,shed,boats,factory,motel,farm ect.also can be used for any stand-alone off-grid solar power system with batteries, such as a household solar system or solar lighting
- Solar Panel: 1. Pre drilled diodes in junction box and a pair of 35 inch cables with F/M connectors attached to the panel 2. High module conversion efficiency and excellent performance in low light conditions, higher efficiency than the traditional panel. 3. Corrosion-resistant aluminum frame protects the solar panel ,suitable for outdoor use in harsh weather,allowing the panels to last for decades.
- Warranty:6-year material and workmanship warranty,25-year power output transfer warranty;friendly 24H/7D service. Solar Wind Hybrid kit will be delivered in separate packages due to the size restrictions by shipping courier.
- Excellent Generator: The generator adopts 500W three-phase NdFeB permanent magnet synchronous motor, low noise, and long lifespan. The outer shell is designed for fast heat dissipation. And the external MPPT controller provides you an efficient tracking performance.
- Low Start-up Speed: The blade is made of nylon fiber, waterproof, corrosion-proof, and lightweight. Temperature bearing is available from -40℃ to 80℃. The generator's start speed only needs 2 m/s, and it can automatically adjust the direction to get the maximum wind speed.
- Easy Assembly: This wind turbine kit will come with the hoop installed, more convenient than the flange. Meanwhile, the blade is accurately designed with the hub and fixing accessories, providing easier assembly for you.
- High-quality Material: The turbine's body is made of die-casting aluminum, and the tail is made of stainless steel, features of casting shape, model in one, high tenacity. The surface of the turbine is disposed of baking varnish, corrosion-proof, waterproof, and durable.
- Various Application: With high wind energy utilization and efficiency, the wind turbine can be widely used in charging for home monitoring, motor home, boats, gazebos, chalets, marine, and any other home usage.
- 1.(-Scope of use-): This Hybrid charge controller match all 12/24v battery, including Lithium Battery. Suit max 800w wind generator and max 600w solar panels for wind solar complementary system for home, boat, street light.
- 2.(-Operational system-): The wind turbine charging part adopts booster MPPT technology, which make it charge continuous and efficiently even in low wind speed. Stepless unloading function including an external dump-load resistance. Solar panel charging use PWM technology by MOS tube in series.
- 3.(-Intelligent&stable system-)：The parameter will be set prefect auto after choose battery type. User also can adjust by own requirement. This system has been updated into more intelligent to can control charge voltage stable absolutely.
- 4.(-Display&DC Load mode-): Bigger LCD screen which easy to browse and handle. DC Load (output) with 3 output modes and each one can be set different model.
- 5.(-Protection function-): Reversed charging Protection of solar, over charge voltage/under voltage & Over load voltage Protection, battery reverse connects and open circuit protection, Lightning Protection, etc.
- 1.（-Safety-）: 5-leaf double-axis vertical blade design, which looks like a Red lantern. Safety factor is high due to blades be fixed inside by a flange, then not risk of blade falling off.
- 2.（-High Wind Energy Utilization-）: Wind blades adopt reinforced fiber nylon which more durable and strong ability of Anti-wind. Especially with optimized aerodynamic shape and structural design, has a High wind energy utilization. Wind turbine can start by breeze and adapt to 360° wind, no yaw system is needed.
- 3. (-Quietly-): The vertical wind turbine is quieter than horizontal axis turbine. Double bearings make it more stable and not easy to shake when wind generator is running. Silent rotation, suitable for home, boat, marine, monitoring use, solar and wind hybrid street lighting system.
- 4. (-Excellent Generator-): Permanent magnet three-phase alternating current can reduce the resistance torque of wind generator effectively. Also make the wind wheel and the generator matching better and then running more reliability.
- 5. (-Installation convenience-): Vertical axis wind turbine can use a screw pile foundation. It is a cost reduction and easy&quick installation compare with concrete foundation installation. Screw pile foundation can be fully recycled at the end of life. An environmentally friendly and low carbon emission way.
Last update on 2022-11-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
What is a Home Wind Turbine?
As the world is putting in more and more efforts to change to renewable sources of energy, wind energy is one of the primary targeted sources. With more research advocating for the use of clean energy to preserve the environment, wind energy will play a significant role.
Home wind energy can come in handy for homeowners who are looking to produce power for their homes and live more of an off-grid lifestyle.
Although a large section of wind farms target to power multiple users such as a community or a town, smaller home wind turbine kits also exist.
These small turbines can be used by individuals to generate electricity for their homes, cabins or businesses. Some can also be used for marine perposes. Although not as popular as solar power, wind energy can still provide enough power, especially in areas with strong winds.
Typically, an average household will require a 5kW home wind turbine to meet all their energy requirements.
Nevertheless, the efficiency of the wind turbine will significantly depend on the strength of the wind in your area.
A home wind turbine is a device that is used to convert the kinetic energy from the wind to electricity.
The turbine acts as a generator and produces clean power from wind energy, that is decarbonized or free from emissions.
A home wind turbine can be a great addition to your existing solar setup, allowing you to continue to generate some power during the night.
Things to Consider When Buying a Home Wind Turbine
Before you purchase and install your home wind turbine, there are several essential things that you should consider. Here are a few necessary things that you should determine before the purchase:
How much energy do you need?
Having a clear data on the exact amount of energy your home require is vital. It enables you to know which is the best residential wind turbine to suit your power needs.
The amount of wind in your area
By determining the amount and speeds of the wind around your location, you can quickly know the size and type of the turbine you need. Since different home wind turbines have various power generating capacities, you can decide which is the best for you.
The speed of the wind will determine the turbine to buy, as the start-up wind speeds in different turbines also vary.
Research on current local zoning laws
You should find out any local regulations that may affect or hinder you from installing that turbine.
For instance, in some communities, the installation of wind turbines may be prohibited.
Check the Certification
You should also make sure that the home wind turbine you want to buy is certified. Certification is by the Small Wind Certification Council, which is a body that is tasked with ensuring that manufacturers only bring quality wind turbines in the market.
After undertaking these crucial steps, you can now go ahead and purchase your home wind turbine.
What’s inside home wind turbine kits?
Let’s break down the wind turbine into its component pieces. This should give a better understanding of how it operates. Knowing some of this terminology will help a lot when choosing the best home wind turbine for your needs.
Generator – this is the part that creates electricity in the system. The motion of the rotors turning spins the generator which changes the kinetic energy into electrical energy. The generator is connected to the centerpiece of the blades and sits directly behind them.
Brakes – the best wind turbine design will include both manual and automatic braking systems. Automatic brakes can be used in some models for when the battery bank is fully charged. The manual brakes are needed for maintenance or even emergencies.
Batteries – an off-grid system will need a bank of batteries to store the electricity. The turbine will produce electricity whenever it spins above the cut-in speed. So you can stockpile this energy in the batteries for when it is needed. Lead acid batteries (deep-cycle) are the most common kinds to use. They can be wired in series or parallel to make a battery bank.
Controller – the charge controller is basically a safety feature that looks after the battery bank. It monitors the amount of energy stored in the batteries and protects the batteries from overheating when they are fully charged. When the batteries are fully charged the controller diverts the energy to the dump (see next component). We recommend MPPT charge controllers. They are a bit more expensive than PWM controllers, but they are much more efficient.
Dump – when the battery pack is fully charged, the turbine may continue to turn. Without a dump, the energy has nowhere to go and the system will run unloaded. This means it might spin extremely fast and may break. The dump protects the unit when the batteries are fully charged by ensuring there is still enough resistance in the circuit.
Inverter – the electrical energy made by the generator needs to be converted from DC to AC before it can be used.
How Does Wind Power Create Usable Energy?
One of the first big questions I had was how the heck do these things work? We’ve known about windmills forever – thank you beautiful Netherlands! – but it’s easy to assume that they’re not as efficient as regular power from a power plant.
So, digging into the question, this is what I learned about how wind turbines create energy that works to power electronics and appliances.
First off, wind energy is technically a type of solar energy.
I know. I was gobsmacked at this one, too.
But when you look at the facts, it does kind of make sense.
The sun unevenly heats the atmosphere, which concurs with the irregularities of the earth’s surface and the rotational movement/placement of the earth.
These three elements work together to create wind. This wind is then used to create a form of usable energy through several means.
It powers everything from sailing to generating usable electricity. The stuff used to create electricity or mechanical power – think kites and sails – is referred to as wind power or wind energy.
Wind energy is a source of kinetic energy, which is literally the energy of motion. Wind turbines take this kinetic energy of the wind and converts it into mechanical energy or power or electrical power via a generator.
And how the turbine does that is by turning the wind energy into electricity by using the aerodynamic force that the rotator blades create. These work similar to other things that look like them – airplane and helicopter propellers.
As the wind flows across these blades, the air pressure decreases on one side of the blade, which creates a different pressure across the two which results in drag and lift – again like flying machines.
When the rotors are connected to a generator – like through a drive turbine or shaft and gears – the energy speeds up the rotation and translates the aerodynamic force into the rotation of a generator’s components, which then creates the useable electricity.
Does Home Wind Power Actually Work? Does It Make Sense?
Like all alternate power sources, we have to ask…does this thing work?
And, if it does work, does it make sense for a homeowner who doesn’t have a farm to power or a tiny house to run?
We all have different needs and different uses of power so this can be a little tricky to answer with a blanket statement.
So, let’s instead take a look at circumstances and places when this does and does not work, and each draw our own conclusions for our own personal needs.
According to Mother Earth News, you need at least an acre of land for the wind turbine to do you much good.
While for much of this I tend to agree with them, I’ve seen some evidence of smaller turbines being useful for smaller properties.
I think it mostly depends on what wattage is behind the turbines, what you’re trying to power, and the actual size of the turbine itself.
For a large turbine, you certainly need more space – and I think that’s what the article I referenced above is talking about.
However, they bring up a really important issue that has to factor into your decision for use of a turbine: zoning and local homeowner association conditions. Many of these will prevent someone from using a larger turbine powerful enough to run much of the household in urban areas.
Also, the larger the open space that the turbine is located in, the higher the wind speed produced, which means higher levels of energy.
Buildings and gates, solid fences, et cetera create windbreaks that are great for keeping down certain issues in an urban yard but decrease wind movement that would allow you to power a home wind turbine generator.
But, if you can meet the zoning and homeowners’ association conditions, you may still be able to successfully install and use small wind turbine kits.
It is highly recommended, however, that if you do plan to work totally off the grid, you should consider combining wind power and solar power to fully power your home, especially in urban or low wind areas.
What Happens When the Wind Stops Blowing?
The next question I had when looking into this topic was what if the wind stops blowing?
We all go through periods of time when the air is just dead. Does that mean you have to rely on traditional electric or solar power when this happens?
For those in low wind areas, the lack of wind on some days is definitely one of the major reasons solar energy is also recommended as a source of power for the home.
Of course, even in high wind areas, there are still days that the wind dies, and this can cause problems if you’re in a hot environment or cold environment when you rely on electricity to control your home’s temperatures.
If you are properly set up, you can store energy from wind and solar power in generators and batteries designed to store energy for you. These can be linked into your home’s electrical system to power things when the wind dies down and the sun says good night.
Energy Generation and Requirements
The next question, then, is how much energy does a wind turbine produce, and what does my home require?
These two answers vary greatly upon a number of factors. For one, what are you planning to run on electricity produced by the wind turbine? A fridge requires a different amount of energy than a laptop.
Calculate your needs by looking up a wattage chart or use ours for understanding the basics.
- Ceiling fan: 10-50W
- DVD Player: 15W
- CB Radio: 5W
- Modem: 7W
- Laptop: 25-100W
- Drill (1/4 inch): 250W
- Toaster Oven: 1200W
- Blu-ray Player: 15W
- Tablet Recharge: 8W
- Satellite Dish: 30W
- Cable Box: 35W
- TV – LCD: 150W
- LED Light bulb (40-watt equivalent): 10W
- LCD Monitor: 100W
- Smart Phone Recharge: 6W
- Coffee Machine: 1000W
- Fridge (16 cubic feet): 1200W
The next question, then, is how much power does a given wind turbine produce? That’s highly based on the size of the turbine and the amount of wind that it receives. Much like a solar panel will still produce energy on a low sunlight day, small wind turbines for home produce lower amounts of energy on lower wind days.
How Does a Home Windmill Generator Compare to Solar Power?
If you live in a highly windy area, the wind turbine is going to be your best friend for producing off-the-grid power.
However, if you’re living in a less windy zone – say Florida or Maine – you’re better off doing a combination of wind and solar panels to be able to guarantee you’ll be fully powered any time of day or night.
Solar power has no moving parts, which means less maintenance and longer warranties. Solar power is typically less expensive to install and there are usually fewer restrictions for those wishing to install solar than there are for urban residents going with wind energy.
However, for low sunlight areas and off-season power, a combination really is your best bet. Wind power keeps charging at night after the sun goes down. The power can also be stored in batteries for later use, and wind energy also helps ensure you’ve got power during overcast weather.
Benefits of the Best Residential Wind Turbine
So, around here we’ve talked a lot about solar power for the home already.
It’s clean, energy efficient – when the proper setup is used – and easy to install.
So, are there any benefits of a wind turbine for home that might outweigh or partner with solar power?
There are several benefits to using wind energy for homes.
Clean, Renewable Energy
First off, and probably the main reason most people invest in wind power, is the fact that wind energy is a clean, renewable energy source.
Much like solar power, it uses an already abundant power source that doesn’t require any destruction of land, acrid smoke creation, or overuse of natural resources. Wind is always present on this big blue marble, whether it’s in the immediate area constantly or not.
Pocketbook Friendly Energy
Once the initial cost is accounted for – and admittedly, wind power is fairly expensive to get set up – home windmill power is free. You don’t have to plug into some electric company that charges you monthly fees to keep the lights on.
Instead, the wind provides all the free power possible to keep your A/C running in those heat waves.
Most People Can Install Them on Their Own
We’re talking smaller, residential turbines, not the monsters you see on the windmill farms in Indiana and Texas, but most people can install small wind turbines on their own.
The kits should come complete with all the necessary parts and thorough instructions for placement, how-tos, and answers for other basic questions.
Most people can install a small wind turbine in a few hours or less, depending on the exact model.
Are Residential Wind Turbine Kits Safe?
Of course, one of the most important questions is whether or not home wind generators are safe. Can they truly be secured safely, do they cause any health issues, are there other health factors to consider?
Some folks have complained of mild issues, such as headaches and nausea or slightly more severe issues with vertigo and anxiety caused by the sounds produces by wind turbines.
However, most of these complaints have been produced by neighbors who seem to dislike the turbines, rather than via any scientific studies.
Some folks have asked if there are any reasons for concern regarding cancer or other severe medical issues associated with wind turbines, but no studies have yet produced any cause for alarm over the medical safety of people living near a single turbine or even a large farm of wind turbines.
Studies show that there is no actual evidence that any of these common or uncommon ailments are linked to wind turbines.
As to safe installation, they can be securely installed if the conditions of the home and/or land are met by the prescribed information and setup.
The main challenge to safety that wind turbines may cause is if they have been damaged, one of the large blades may fall. If the blade falls, it may land on someone in the area.
Generally, this isn’t too much of an issue for residential turbines, as they aren’t massive enough to cause permanent injury, but precautions must be taken after storms or extreme windy conditions to ensure that the blades are not damaged.
Will Residential Vertical Wind Turbine Kits Work Where I Live?
Again, this is a case by case answer. Since I don’t know your neighborhood, I can’t exactly tell you how well they’ll work for you.
However, I can give some clues based on your terrain and the general information that’s available on locations and windiness levels.
There are maps that show us where the best wind zones are, and I recommend pinpointing your location on one of them.
The top five wind-producing states, in order, are:
When you look at the map, you’ll notice that the Central Plains states in the United States and the northern end of the Midwestern states, along with the east side of Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico, and most of Texas and Oklahoma have the highest winds of the country.
This means that likely these will be the best states to use wind energy for powering a full electrical system.
However, many other locations can still use wind energy to power systems.
In fact, some of the quietest locations still produce enough energy to power a number of appliances and electronics through the storage of energy in batteries.
Couple this with solar power, and you’re more likely to be able to combine the power sources for full coverage for your home.
What are the Drawbacks of Residential Wind Turbines?
It’s easy to find a great deal on a budget wind turbine and think you’ll be happy with it. But the reality is, just like with all products, you will get what you pay for.
Low-cost turbines are higher quality now than they used to be even five years ago, but they’re still going to be more problematic than the good ones from reliable manufacturers with a good reputation. Cheap companies offer cheap warranties that may or may not be valid when you need them.
Also, you’ll want to beware of turbines that are on the approved lists for rebate programs.
Many of these are produced by lesser quality manufacturers who “test” the turbines themselves and rate them higher than they should be rated in order to be included in the list.
Wind turbines do not last as long as solar panels (which can last 20+ years).
They have many working parts and require fairly frequent maintenance. This means that high-quality is all the more important as the reputable manufacturers will produce wind turbines that won’t break down as frequently.
But even with good ones, you’re going to need to replace some parts from time to time.
To reduce the maintenance costs, it’s highly recommended for you to consider using a tilt-up tower for your turbine. This allows you to do some of the work of maintenance yourself, which will cut costs along the way.
For safety and savings, you’ll need to inspect your turbine annually – although, I recommend a bi-annual inspection instead – to verify everything is working properly, completely secure still, and not needing repair of any kind.
I would also recommend inspecting additionally after any severe storms or extremely high winds.
What Does A Wind Turbine System Kit Look Like?
There are several components to a full wind turbine kit. Most of them are parts you won’t mess with, but having an understanding of the full setup can help.
This is typically built of concrete and steel and supports the weight of the turbine.
Towers for a turbine can be lattice, concrete, tubular steel, or a combination of these options.
The blades of the turbine are made of composite fiberglass.
The hub is the part of the turbine that connects the blades to the main shaft.
The rotor is the hub and blades together as a composite unit.
This is the portion of the turbine that houses the electrical mechanical components of the turbine.
Main Shafts and Gearboxes
The drive shaft is the main shaft and is connected to the rotor and generator or gearboxes.
The generator is connected to the grid, or in the case of home use, a home power system.
Pitch Control Systems
This is the aspect of the turbine that allows the blades to turn in and out against the wind to speed up or slow down rotation.
Connects the nacelle to the tower and turns the nacelle for wind capture.
How We Chose the Best Residential Wind Turbine Kits to Review
We wanted to make sure we were only giving the absolute best residential wind turbine reviews, so we used several phases of research and study to find them.
First, we started by doing a general search for all the best turbines available This brought up a lot of websites that provided reviews of and information on a wide range of wind turbines and many other objects with propellers like wind turbines.
Because many of these articles had lists of fans included, we didn’t put a whole lot of stock in them and moved on to reviewing only high-quality websites and lists.
Culling out many of the non-turbine options, we had a list of about 70 potential wind turbine for sale across the world. Many of these were completely impractical for home use – some were kits for much larger scale turbines – while many were obviously poor quality with only a single review of one star only.
Cutting out the unrealistic and junker options, we had a list of about thirty left. From that list, we knocked out any that just didn’t meet our requirements and any that were unreasonably priced for the quality.
This brought us down to the manageable list of those we recommend below.
How To Choose the Best Residential Wind Turbine for Your Home Needs
You’re probably wondering what qualifications we used to determine the quality of wind power kits. Take a gander and decide for yourself as you look into this wind energy option.
Consider Height Restrictions
As mentioned above, many neighborhoods and urban areas have height restrictions for structures. If you live in the countryside, this probably isn’t too much of an issue, but if you live in the suburbs or an urban area, you’ll need to make sure that the wind turbine meets the height restrictions in your area.
You can check this by connecting with your local courthouse and zoning committees or neighborhood associations. These will tell you where to start your investigation into the height restrictions and similar zoning issues that may impede your desire to install a wind turbine.
Determine Where and How You Should Mount Your Turbine
Knowing where and how you want to mount your turbine will help you decide which option(s) are best for you.
If, for example, you know you plan to have a vertical wind turbine for home use, you know you’ll need to have the appropriate space for this.
Or, if you would prefer to have the turbine closer to the house, you may consider a roof-mounted wind turbine instead.
You’ll want to make sure your wind turbine comes with a strong warranty that covers parts and labor. Obviously, the longer the warranty, the better, but longer warranties will also generally raise the upfront cost of the turbine.
Just remember that as you shop and realize this is factored into the difference between that $400 wind turbine versus the $1000 turbine.
High-Quality Manufacture from a Reputable Company
There are knock-offs of everything these days, including wind turbines.
You’ll see some brand-new companies popping up with what appears to be the same exact model as another reputable option. But once you buy it, you realize it’s made of cheap materials and none of the pieces fit together!
Look into companies, read reviews, and make sure you know how they treat customers before making that purchase.
Wind turbines are an innovative source of clean & renewable energy that could keep anything from your RV to your entire home powered up. If you’re looking to start small and don’t need a wind turbine for the home for excessive wind levels, go with a small wind turbines or go with options like the Popsport Wind Generator or Eco-Worthy Wind Solar Power Kit.
Otherwise, any of the higher-wattage units mentioned like the Turbine Generator Kit by Windmill are a fantastic way to get started with wind energy.
Remember to review your local wind rate and any neighborhood zoning or association requirements before making your final decision. That way, you can pick the wind turbine that is not only best for your energy needs but will integrate into the area you live in.