Honey extractors are simple and robust mechanical devices used to extract honey from combs. They use centrifugal force inside a drum or container with frame baskets. This is where the combs are spun and the honey is dumped. Extraction is one of the final steps in the beekeeping process, and it’s where you reap your rewards for everything you plant.
There are great benefits associated with honey extractors and they cannot be ignored. Its main benefit is ensuring that the combs remain intact and can be reused by the bees to produce more honey. There are two types of pullers to choose from: radial or tangential. The main difference between them lies in the way the frames are stored in the basket. Any of these types can be powered manually or electrically.
With the various brands of honey extractors available on the market, you will never be out of options if you are considering purchasing one. So let’s help you make that decision with our carefully curated list of the best honey extractors available on the market today. We’ll see.
Our Top Pick
Last update on 2022-12-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Top 10 Best Honey Extractors To Buy In 2021
Last update on 2022-12-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
10 Best Honey Extractors Review
- 🐝【Honey Extractor】 🐝Our manual honey extractor features a square screw dent, easy to install and rotate. The solid metal crank turns baskets inside smoothly and efficiently. Start using anytime and anywhere.
- 🐝【Premium Stainless Steel】🐝 The honey extractor separator body is made of high-quality stainless steel, wear-proof and secure for your long-lasting use. With the sleek finish and seamless welding construction, it is easy to clean after use.
- 🐝【Honey Extractor 3 Frame 】🐝 Our honey separator handles up to 3 honey frames at once time. Fit for frames of 9.2 x 17.3 x 19.2 in /23.5 x 44 x 48.8 cm. The enclosed gear upon the frame will not contaminate the honey.
- 🐝【Humanized Design】🐝The 2" honey gate of beekeeping honey extractor at the bottom of the tank allows the honey to flow at your will. Two clear perspex lids allow inspection of the extraction process while harvesting the honey. And the adjustable height fits your different needs.
- 🐝【Easy to Assemble & Use】🐝 Assembling our honey spinner extractor equipment is really easy with simple steps. Just put beehive frames in and plug in to start. Comparing to heavy motorized honey extractors,it is ideal for the hobbyist or small apiarist.
- 🐝【Honey Extractor】🐝Main Parameter-honey frames capacity: 2 frames; type: manual; material: food grade stainless steel；outlet size: 2 inch; drum Height: 24 inch; drum diameter: 15 inch
- 🐝【Humanized Design】🐝-The 2" honey gate of honey separator equipment at the bottom of the tank allows the honey to flow at your will. Clear perspex lids allow inspection of the extraction process while harvesting the honey and to keep debris out while the Honey is draining.And the adjustable height fits your different needs.
- 🐝【Stainless Steel Honey Extractor】🐝-The barrel and inner frame uses food grade steel, safe and healthy.The holder adopts steel, which is not easy to rust and can be used outdoors. The mesh of the honeycomb basket is slightly rounded to the inner side in order to avoid a break of honeycombs.
- 🐝【High Efficiency Operate】🐝-Bottom inside of beekeeping honey extractor drum is conical shaped and drains Honey to the 2-inch outlet with stopper/Honey gate. It’s a professional beekeeping equipment, it's smooth and efficient to help you to get Honey as much as possible, and it can save the user time and labor.
- 🐝【Easy to Assemble & Use】🐝 -Assembling our honey extractor equipment is really easy with simple steps. Just put beehive frames in and plug in to start. It is ideal for the hobbyist or small apiarist.
- VIVO Electric Honey Extractor - With this product’s quiet 120V AC Motor, extracting honey has never been easier! The honey gate is elevated 17.2” from the floor to help keep the drum clear of extracted honey and allow room for a 5-gallon bucket underneath the gate.
- Steel Drum - The stainless steel drum on this 4-frame honey extractor is 25.5" tall and 18.5" in diameter, perfect for extracting a lot of honey at one time. The gate opening rests a mere 0.5” above the bottom of the barrel, so you can easily get most of the honey out of the extractor without having to tip it forward.
- Frames - This honey extractor fits shallow, medium, and deep frames and also keeps the metal gears enclosed to keep them clean of honey. You can choose to hold up to 8 small and medium frames or up to 4 large frames to extract your honey.
- Clear Lid - With a clear plastic lid, you can easily watch your honey as it spins.
- We've Got You Covered - This honey extractor comes with a limited 1-year Manufacturer warranty as well as friendly tech support to help with any questions or concerns.
- 【Sweet Space】Drum Size:18.5" x 25.2". Height: 48.4"-51.6". Our electric honey extractor handles 4 standard frames of 9.1" or 8 shallow frames of 6.3" at one time. The height is adjustable to meet your needs and won't bend over during use. It saves both your time and effort while extracting delicious honey. Nothing has ever looked so sweet.
- 【Get Ready for the Buzz 】This beekeeping extractor features a 140 W, 1250 rpm motor with variable speed options and a high-precision bearing, so it has a higher rotation speed and low noise. The external button and screen make it easy to operate. Enjoy quick and effortless honey extraction with this equipment.
- 【Premium Stainless Steel】 Are you tired of other honey extractors leaving you with a sticky mess to deal with? Stop worrying now. Our electric honey extractor features a sleek finish and seamless welding construction, making cleaning easy after every use. The 3 support legs with fixable feet ensure stability.
- 【Humanized Design】 Get ready to be in control! The 1.5" honey gate at the bottom of the tank allows the honey to flow at your will. Two clear perspex lids allow inspection of the extraction process while harvesting the honey. Furthermore, the secure design allows it to automatically stop spinning when the lid is opened, creating lasting peace of mind.
- 【Sweet & Simple Installation】 Are you ready to enjoy honey! Lucky for you, installation is sweet and simple. Assembling our apiary centrifuge equipment is really easy with these 3 simple steps. Just assemble the legs, lids, and honey gate, put your beehive frames in and plug in to start. Ideal for beekeepers or small apiarists to get honey quickly and easily.
- ➤UNIQUE DESIGN CRANK: Upgraded handle has a square screw dent for installation so it can be cranked easily. The solid metal crank turns smoothly and efficiently, perfect for both commercial or household beekeepers. Please be extra careful when you rotate the handle and let go of it for your safety.
- ➤HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE LEGS : Three adjustable legs allow buckets in different sizes to sit underneath the extractor. The stainless steel legs can be bolted to the floor and raise the drum, or remove the legs for tabletop use.
- ➤ANTI-RUST MATERIAL & EASY TO CLEAN: Top grade #304 polished stainless steel frame resists rust and abrasion that's built to last, which is also a thoughtful idea for your health and safety. Barrel with sleek finish and seamless welding construction, which can be cleaned easily with soap water after each use.
- ➤LARGE FRAME HOLDER: Inner basket holds up to 4 standard deep, medium, or shallow at once. It is slightly rounded to the inner side in order protect your honeycombs from breaking. The enclosed gear upon the frame will not contaminate the honey.
- ➤FREE ACCESSORIES AVAILABLE: Well-craft and easy installation honey gate valve for convenient use. The clear plexiglass lid is well-positioned within the extractor for easy viewing, also keeps off dust and other particles during extraction. Feel free to contact our customer service for assistance.
- Powerful Electric Motor: This honey extractor features a 140 W 1.1A, 1300rpm motor with variable speed options, high-precision bearing, so it has higher rotation speed and low noise, saving your time and labor.
- Premium Stainless Steel: The motorized honey extractor body is made of high-quality stainless steel, wear-proof and secure for your long-lasting use. With the sleek finish and seamless welding construction, it is easy to clean after use.
- 2-Frame Capacity: Our electric honey extractor equipment handles up to 2 frames at once time. Fit for frames of 9.2 x 17.3 x 19.2 in /23.5 x 44 x 48.8 cm. The enclosed gear upon the frame will not contaminate the honey.
- Humanized Design: The 2" honey gate at the bottom of the tank allows the honey to flow at your will. Two clear perspex lids allow inspection of the extraction process while harvesting the honey. And the adjustable height fits your different needs.
- Easy to Assemble & Use: Assembling our apiary centrifuge equipment is really easy with simple steps. Just put beehive frames in and plug in to start. It is ideal for the hobbyist or small apiarist.
- BEEKEEPING SOLUTIONS: 5-in-1 Beekeeping kit provides necessary, must have tools for beginning and professional beekeepers.
- Double Sieve Honey Strainer Size: The mesh bowl has a diameter of 9" with a depth 4" and features extendable arms with a total reach of 15.5".
- PREMIUM QUALITY: These products are made of 201 stainless steel, wood and nylon. All materials are sturdy and of high quality.
- PACKAGE INCLUDES: Double sieve honey strainer, stainless Steel frame holder, stainless steel uncapping fork, yellow nylon durable honey gate and bee queen catcher.
- GUARANTEE: our products provide warranty service and 100% money back guarantee. For any reason you are not satisfied with the product, please contact us in time. We will definitely give you a satisfactory solution within 24 hours.
- Steel Drum - The stainless steel drum on this two-frame honey extractor is 24" tall and 15" in diameter, perfect for extracting a lot of honey at one time.
- Elevated - The distance from the honey gate to the floor measures 15.25", helping keep the extractor out of the extracted honey. The gate opening rests a mere 1/2" above the bottom of the barrel, so you can easily get most of the honey out of the extractor without having to tip it forward.
- Frames - This honey extractor fits shallow, medium, and deep frames and also keeps the metal gears enclosed to keep them clean of honey.
- Clear Lid - With a clear Plexiglas lid, you can easily watch your honey as it spins.
- 1 Year Warranty - This honey extractor comes with a limited 1-year Manufacturer warranty as well as friendly tech support to help with any questions or concerns.
- MANUAL HONEY EXTRACTOR :The barrel and inner frame uses food grade steel, safe and healthy. The holder adopts steel, which is not easy to rust and can be used outdoors. The mesh of the honeycomb basket is slightly rounded to the inner side in order to avoid a break of honeycombs
- 2 FRAME MANUAL HONEY EXTRACTOR:Heavy duty, handles up to 2 standard deep, medium, or shallow frames, baskets inside are able to hold as much as 2 frames at once. The enclosed gear upon the frame will not contaminate the honey
- STURDY CRANK DESIGN:honeycomb spinner crank beekeeping equipment ,handle has a square screw dent for installation so it can be cranked easily. Solid metal crank turns 2 baskets inside smoothly and efficiently
- Honey Extraction Comb:Bottom inside of drum is conical shaped and drains Honey to the 2-inch outlet with stopper/Honey gate. It’s a professional beekeeping equipment, it's smooth and efficient to help you to get Honey as much as possible, and it can save the user time and labor
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE & USE:The assemble is really easy with simple steps. Just simply put honeycomb in frames and crank heavy duty handle to spin in a short time. Ideal for the hobbyist or small apiarist
- Bushings For Electric Extractors - These red bushing connectors can be used in any electric honey extractor, including VIVO models BEE-V002E, BEE-V003E, and BEE-V004E.
- Extended Product Life - If the bushing that fits between the two couplings in your honey extractor becomes worn out or damaged, these connectors serve as brand new replacements, keeping your equipment well maintained.
- Pack of 5 - Comes in a set of 5, so you can replace the bushings whenever needed for routine maintenance without having to find a new part each time.
Last update on 2022-12-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
What are Honey Extractors?
Honey extractors are useful and strong equipment used to extract honey from combs without ruining or damaging them.
How is honey extracted from the honeycomb?
It’s a great tool that separates honey from honeycombs through the generation of a centrifugal force. A honey extractor is a cylinder that removes honey from your frame baskets while spinning.
However, this equipment is one of the most expensive tools for beekeeping. The price of this gadget is not so surprising because of its unique design and complexity. It is quite different from all other beekeeping tools in size and the way to operate them.
Made with stainless steel, honey extractors are really rugged. This is why choosing good honey is important and there are some factors you should consider before you buy one.
Honey extractors are one of the most useful equipment for beekeeping. There are so many benefits of using this equipment for your honey extraction. Let’s check out some of the best honey extractors that can really help your beekeeping.
Choosing your Extractor – Tangential vs Radial
The honey extractor’s mode of operation can either be radial or tangential. This refers to the manner in which the honey frames are arranged in the drum and spun in order to remove the honey from the frames.
Within the honey extractor is a drum where the frames are placed and then the spinning begins. The frames that have been uncapped are placed on the drum for the honey to flow out from the wax cells. Uncapping is usually done using a hot knife or a hot air gun. Once uncapped, it becomes easy to remove the honey from the frames. The honey hits the walls of the drum and is then directed to the bottom of the drum where it flows through the valve located on the edge of the honey extractor.
Any honey that has been extracted from the frames should be collected immediately. Otherwise when it stays for too long it affects the spinning process.
Tangential Honey Extractor
A tangential honey extractor refers to the extractor where the every frame is removed then flipped for a second round of spinning. Each side of the frame has to be spun once so as to remove the honey from both of the frame sides. This is means it takes plenty of effort to spin a bigger number of honey frames.
- It is cheaper than the radial extractor.
- Since you spin every side individually, chances are high that nothing remains in the frames.
- Ideal for a small enterprise since it is cheaper.
- This is taxing since the frames have to be removed and flipped every time.
- It may not suit a beekeeper with many frames to extract. Not the best for the commercial beekeeper.
Radial Honey Extractor
The radial honey extractor is the most popular among beekeepers. In this extractor, the honey frames are usually loaded once then both sides of the frames are spun at once. This is highly efficient when compared to the tangential since you do not have to keep removing and flipping honey frames. It will therefore be a great choice for commercial beekeepers since they have to spin plenty of honey frames.
- Highly efficient.
- Spins more frames within a short time.
- Well suited for commercial beekeepers or those who have many beehives.
- No double work when extracting honey from frames.
- It is more expensive when compared to tangential honey extractors.
The tangential and radial honey extractors may also be further categorized as either manual or electric powered. You therefore have to consider this. If you cannot handle hand cranking then it makes perfect sense to get an electric powered unit. A combination of radial and electric powered features makes the best choice for those with huge beekeeping operations. You can also buy such a combination if you started small and have plans of scaling up with time.
Manual vs Electric Honey Extractor
The honey extractor can either be manually operated or electrically powered. As the name suggests, each of them works based on the kind of power or effort involved in the operation.
Whether manually or electrically operated, honey extractors all work in the same manner – they utilize centrifugal force. Within the interior of the extractor is a cylindrical drum that holds the frame basket. This drum is spun either by manual force or electric power and it removes the liquid honey from the combs.
Electric Honey Extractor
As the name implies, this type of honey extractor is powered by electricity when spinning the bee frames placed at the central shaft of the extractor’s drum. This unit uses an electric motor that is linked to an electric current supply which generates the power required for spinning the frames within set speed. The speed at which the frames are spun must be regulated. Too high speed can damage the frames and render them useless. Spinning speed that is too low on the other hand may not remove any honey from the frames. Electric honey extractors are used in large scale commercial operations, but they can also be used by smaller beekeepers too.
- The electric honey extractor removes large amounts of honey within a shorter time.
- They are the easiest to operate. All you have to do is turn on the electric motor and the spinning begins automatically.
- In terms of speed, the electric unit is faster than a manually operated extractor.
- It is best suited for large scale bee farms.
- Quite expensive when compared to manual extractors.
Manual Honey Extractor
The manual honey extractor is operated using your hands or through use of physical effort. It does not require electricity to operate. Manual extractors generally have the same internal components as its electric counterparts except the electric motor. It can hold 2 to 4 frames.
- It does a good job even in areas without electricity.
- It does not damage honey combs since speed is controlled by hand.
- Energy conscious, no electricity bills to be paid.
- It is cheaper than electric extractors.
- Less efficient when compared to electric extractors.
- Does not suit commercial beekeepers.
Both the electric and manual honey extractor does an excellent job when it comes to extracting honey. You need to evaluate your needs before deciding on which one to buy.
Types Of Honey Extractors
Did you that we have two types of honey extractors? Depending on how the frames are fitted onto the basket, we have either radial or tangential honey extractors. Perhaps someone would ask; what’s the difference? The difference is this: A radial basket has the top bar of its frame facing on the outward direction while a tangential basket has just one part of the comb facing outwards.
- Radial honey extractors: Most large honey extractors are radial and mainly depend on the upward sloping of the comb cells during the extraction process. With the slope, commercial honey extractors apply a centrifugal force towards the upper section of the comb for easy extraction. The radial type reduces the amount of work required during extraction since one doesn’t have to turn the frames over during extraction.
- Tangential honey extractors:
- Like earlier stated, tangential extractors have only one part of their comb facing upwards. This way, they’re only used for small-scale extractions. They will require more effort and take more time.
- We also have hand-powered extractors which require human effort during extraction. One is required to manually press the honeycombs to extract honey. Hand-powered honey extractors aren’t as effective as their electric counterparts. However, they are affordable!
- Electric powered:
- As the name suggests, electrically powered honey extractors are powered by electricity. Some are also battery-powered or have some other sources of energy used to power them. In a jiffy, they’re the complete opposite of the hand-powered options.
7 Steps To Extract Honey
Everyone wants to extract honey to the last drop, right? So, why do some people only get a small portion while others get huge sums out of a comb of a similar size? The answer is simple; it all depends on how you do it! We have people who do it the right way and those who only do some guesswork. So, which is the right way to harvest honey? Come with us as we give some tips on how you can get the right amounts of honey from the honeycomb.
1 – Check The Stability Of The Extractor
If you’re using an extractor which doesn’t have a stand, it’s crucial that you find a way to make it stable. Failure to stabilize it during the extraction process could turn catastrophic. For that reason, ensure you have an idea of ensuring the extractor is stable.
2 – Get The Honey Frames
Of course, once the extractor is ready, the next thing is to get the frames from the hives. It’s at this stage that you’re required to open the hive and smoke the bees. However, you have to be careful since smoking might affect the flavor of the honey. For that reason, you need to smoke the bees carefully without overdoing it.
3 – Head To The Processing Area
After cleaning all the frames, you should head to the processing zone to get the honey out.
4 – Cut/Melt Off The Caps From The Frames
This can be done using a regular knife although care has to be observed so that you don’t tear the wax from the foundation.
5 – Place The Frames Inside The Extractors
Once you spin, you apply a centrifugal force which facilitates the extraction process. You need to spin the frames till honey is fully extracted. Of course, you also have to be careful so that the foundation doesn’t come out.
6 – Open The Gate To Start Draining Honey Off
This is done after a considerable amount of honey has been collected into the extractor. Drain the honey into a bucket which is fitted with a filtering screen on the upper section to remove impurities.
7 – Allow The Honey To Rest In The Bucket For 24 Hours
Advantages of Owning a Honey Extractor
There are crude ways of harvesting honey, which will not give you much as much harvest as you would wish to have. Then there are professional ways of extracting honey.
- A honey extractor makes harvesting honey from honeycombs easy and saves time.
- There is also less wastage of honey during spinning as every drop gets into the bucket.
- Owning an extractor is a long-term investment for apiarists looking to produce honey for commercial purposes.
- Extractors provide beekeepers with onsite processing, storage, and packaging of freshly harvested honey.
A honey extractor might look very basic and simple. However, its role is very big. I mean, how would you get the sweet honey from the comb? In the market, you will come across all kinds of products. Some very good, some okay, and some not worth even mentioning. In this review, we have first taken you through the important features that you should look out.
After that, we have listed the top 11 best honey extractors in 2021. The ranking was based on the most important aspects that include quality, material, stability, effectiveness, user friendliness, durability, hygiene, and reliability. By acquiring any of the above items, you will own a good, reliable, and top product.