A lawn mower is an essential tool to have in your shed if you want to keep your yard always beautiful. With a wide variety of models available on the market, it is sometimes difficult to decide which lawn mower is best for you.
Today we’re going to talk about self-propelled lawn mowers. If you are new to gardening, self-propelled lawn mowers are self-propelled tools. You just have to control the direction of the cutter and therefore these cutters are really easy to maneuver.
But is a self-propelled lawn mower right for you? In this article, we will describe the different types of lawn mowers and the characteristics of self-propelled lawn mowers. We’ve also made a list of the best reviews on self-propelled lawn mowers to help you choose the right one.
Our Top Pick
Last update on 2021-03-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Top 10 Best Self-Propelled Lawn Mowers To Buy In 2021
Last update on 2021-03-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
10 Best Self-Propelled Lawn Mowers Review
- POWERFUL 159CC OHV GAS ENGINE: Powerful gas engine comes equipped with recoil and auto choke. No more fussing with a primer or choke - just pull to start!
- 3-IN-1 CAPABILITIES: Unit has side discharge, rear discharge, and mulching capabilities.
- FRONT WHEEL DRIVE: Tip-up, turn, and maneuver around level terrain with ease.
- SELF PROPELLED AND VARIABLE SPEED: Move around your yard with less effort and the propulsion speed of your choice.
- DUAL-LEVER ADJUSTABLE CUTTING HEIGHT: Choose from 6 different height settings to suit user’s needs.
- G-MAX 40V 4Ah Li-Ion Battery (Model 29472) powers multiple tools for complete yard work system--includes 1-4Ah Battery and Charger
- Single lever 5-position height adjustment offers cutting height range from 1-1/4 inch to 3-3/8-inch for the best cut in all environments
- 2-in-1 feature offers rear bagging and mulching capability for multiple use. Cuts 400m2 on a single charge. Nice even cut for all grass types
- 16-Inch cutting deck allows you to maneuver through small to medium size yard more efficiently
- 6-inch front wheel and 7-inch rear wheel for easy maneuvering throughout your yard
- WHAT IS THE LAWN MOWER 3.0: Welcome to the newest and latest in below-the-waist trimming. The Lawn Mower 3.0 from MANSCAPED is the only trimmer you need to keep your manhood looking trim, neat, and clean. Soft ceramic blades featuring advanced SkinSafe Technology ensures confidence while trimming below-the-waist.
- FEATURES/BENEFITS: This next-level male trimmer is cordless, waterproof, and can be charged with a rapid charging USB dock for the utmost convenience. It also comes with an adjustable guard for different hair lengths. No matter what length you choose, you can be sure to get an even trim. Plus, The Lawn Mower 3.0 features rust-proof, ceramic snap-in blades for hygiene and sharpness.
- MISSION: MANSCAPED created its lineup of tools and products to take care of a man's face, body, and important bits. Our products help you maintain by trimming, shaving, cleansing, and treating your skin with care. Our mission is to create superior products to elevate man's grooming experience. We strive to engineer tools and formulations to empower all men to be the best versions of themselves. We take pride in crafting specific products to help men feel more confident, comfortable, and healthy
- HOW TO USE: Before initial use, fully charge your trimmer. While charging, the unit will blink. When ready to use, the light will be solid. Then you’re good to use your trimmer for up to 90 minutes.
- PROTECT YOUR PURCHASE - To keep you and your Lawn Mower 3.0 working optimally, make sure to change out your blades regularly to keep them sharp, clean, and rust-free.
- We were so tired of trying to find the right tools for the job that we engineered and formulated our own. Introducing MANSCAPED Nuts & Bolts 3.0. If you don't own this, you should, your significant other will love you forever. This essential grooming kit includes a specially designed electric trimmer, for hard-to-reach parts, an incredible, all-in-one, long-lasting ball deodorant and moisturizer as well as our famous Magic Mat, a unique shaving mat and great bathroom read.
- THE LAWN MOWER 3.0: A sophisticated, small yet powerful trimmer designed for maneuverability with adjustable guard for ease and comfort. Think you already have a trimmer? Trust us, we did the homework. You don't, and you need this.
- THE CROP PRESERVER: A uniquely formulated ball deodorant and moisturizer. You just trimmed, now enhance and moisturize. Think of this as your suit of armor, this residue- and oil-free, anti-chafing lotion features ingredients to help you stay; smooth, fresh, velvety and more confident throughout the day. Whether you're traveling, working, or playing sports, the Crop Preserver has your nuts covered.
- MAGIC MAT: Our incognito disposable shaving mats serve for practical and entertainment purposes. Utilize its handy functionality while grooming, then neatly discard or as a light entertaining bathroom read for all things manly.
- Your purchase includes One Craftsman M105 140cc Gas powered Push Lawn Mower, One bagger and engine oil
- Lawn Mower width – 21” | Weight – 65 lbs. | Minimum Cutting Height – 1.25” | Maximum Cutting Height – 3.75” | Front wheel size – 7” | Rear wheel size – 8” | Engine – 140cc Briggs and Stratton
- 3 in 1 Capabilities: Unit has side discharge, rear discharge, and mulching
- Minor assembly is required but is easily accomplished with little to no mechanical experience
- Engine comes equipped with recoil and auto choke. No more fussing with a primer or choke - just pull to start. Unit is gas-powered and not self-propelled. Product folds for storage
- 170CC OHV GAS ENGINE & 21-INCH STEEL MOWING DECK: PowerSmart self-propelled lawn mower contains with powerful 4-stroke, single cylinder gas engine which provides you powerful back up for clearing the tallest and toughest grass. Forced air-cooling system is equipped and ensures the continuous power of the engine to get your job finished. 21-inch steel mowing deck creates the large cutting area with high durability, which can help you cut bigger jobs easily.
- ADJUSTABLE CUTTING DEPTH: The self-propelled mower has 5-position height adjustment which allows you to change the cutting height to cut grass and overgrowth easily, cutting height in this self-propelled lawn mower can be adjusted between the range of 1.2 to 3.0 inch, and cutting width is 21 inch.
- FLEXIBLE AND AGILE: 3-in-1 side discharge and mulching capability allows you to spread grass clippings to the side, returning key nutrients to your lawn so your grass can grow healthy and thick. The 8-inch rear wheels in this gas self-propelled mower make it easy to move. This labour-saving design can enhance your work efficiency.
- QUICK FOLDING & TIDILY STORAGE: The gas power lawn mower can be quickly folded without tools due to the foldable handle design. It can be stored tidily after folding, save space and keep your work house organized. Fuel tank capacity of this mower is 0.4 Gallon, oil capacity is 16.9 fl.oz, and weight is 56lb.
- CUSTOMER SATISFICATION: PowerSmart is always aiming on providing great consumers value with the absolute best price and quality entire line of products. All of our products qualify for a 3 years warranty, Our service team will provide premium service to help solve any problem.
- 4-blade reel with a cutting width of 14” and durable 8.5” polymer wheels for maximum maneuverability
- Mechanical lawn mower with an adjustable blade height of 0.5”-1.75” with scissor action cut
- Manual grass cutter blades made of heat-treated alloy steel that stays sharp for years
- Environment-friendly alternative to gas-powered lawn mowers which is pollution-free and noise-free; Low maintenance, lightweight and easy to use
- Capable of cutting grass up to 4 inches tall
- Durable 20-Inch Steel Deck
- Powerful 12 Amp Motor
- 3-In-1 (Mulching, Side Discharge, and Rear Bag)
- 7-Position Single Lever Height Adjustment
- Push Button Start. Drive system: manual
- Up to 60 minutes of run time with fully charged 4.0AH Battery, battery and charger included
- Brushless motors are more reliable and delivers gas equivalent performance to a 160cc gas engine
- Smart Cut(TM) Load sensing technology
- 3-in-1 Mulch, rear bag, and side discharge. 7-position single lever height adjustment for range of 1-3/8 inch to 3-3/4 inch cut
- 80V 2AH li-ion battery and rapid charger included, compatible battery and charger models GBA80200, GBA80400 and GCH8040
- Greenworks, 10 Amp 16-Inch 2 in 1, Rear Bag or Mulch Electric Lawn Mower, Converts Easily from Rear Bag to Mulch, Model # 25142
- 10 Amp Electric Motor delivers enough power to cut through touch grass. Assembled Product Weight: 48.0 Pounds
- Durable 16-Inch cutting deck gets the job done quicker and more efficiently
- 2-in-1 feature provides mulching and rear discharge capabilities
- 5 position height adjustment offers a range of cutting height from 5/8-Inch to 2-5/8-Inch for the perfect cut on all types of grass
Last update on 2021-03-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
What to Look for When Buying an Electric Lawn Mower? (Buying Guides)
There’s can be a lot of misconception in choosing the best self-propelled electric lawn mowers but our such long review article and proper buying guides will help you out from all hesitation.
Now Question is,
How do you decide, which self-propelled mower to buy?
Are self-propelled mowers worth it?
Do self-propelled mowers last long?
Well, let’s have a look at the key things that you should know before making your decision in buying a self-propelled electric mower. And all these questionnaires answer will self-revealed in our next part.
Price: Are Self Propelled Mowers Worth it?
The price of a product is one of the most important considerations whenever you’re making a purchase. In this article, we have featured self-propelled the best electric lawn mowers from all price ranges so that everyone can get one within their budget.
While an expensive electric mower is likely better than a cheap one, you shouldn’t pay more than necessary. You should understand what you need exactly and pick the most cost-efficient lawn mower that satisfies your needs.
Durability: How Long do Electric Mowers Last?
As you’ll be investing your hard-earned money in the machine, it must last you a while so that you can make the most use of it. From the engine to the wheels, everything should be of top-notch quality to ensure that the machine gives you service for years. Before making the purchase, always read reviews from the users to ensure the quality and durability of the unit.
Lawn Size: Do I Need Self Propelled Electric Mowers?
The size of the lawn is a factor that you should take into consideration while buying the lawnmower. One lawnmower doesn’t work well for all sizes of lawns. So, make sure the one you go for is suitable for your lawn.
Walk-behind mowers are an excellent choice for small lawns. These mowers are quite budget-friendly and easy to operate as well. There are Eco-friendly which is a huge plus considering their price. On the other hand, riding mowers work excellent with larger lawns as they can mow super-efficiently and quickly.
The deck and cutting width determines how much grass you can cut at a time. This feature determines the time you’ll need to mow the lawn. Deck with 12-inches is enough for shorter lawns.
However, small decks also work well for large lawns but it’ll take a longer time for the mower to complete the job. For larger lawns, go for decks with 20-inches or above.
Can I Put Larger Wheels on My Electric Mower?
The wheel size differs a bit with different models. A larger wheel provides better mobility as they have a larger surface area. Also, notice that if the wheels come with a swiveling feature or not as that will give the mower better control on tricky terrains. So, Bigger wheels can perform better than smaller ones. It doesn’t much different in most cases.
How Many Height Numbers in an Electric Mower?
The height adjustment is a crucial feature for a self-propelled lawn mower because it orders to have healthy and beautiful grass on the lawn, you should never cut them below thirty percent of their overall height. If you cut the grass below thirty percent of the height then it’ll weaken them and make them more vulnerable to various kinds of diseases. The grass will eventually go yellow and not look healthy no matter how much you water it.
Therefore, the height adjustment is a vital feature that should be considered while shopping for the best self-propelled lawnmower. This will give you the flexibility to cut the grass according to the required height of the grass.
Usually, the mowers come with multiple cutting width adjustment settings. A mower with three or four settings is sufficient enough to work on all types of grass height. However, the more the merrier as that will give you greater flexibility to cut the grass for all kinds of terrain conditions.
Are Electric Mowers Safe?
One of the most and important considerable things is the Safety features on the mower. The lawnmowers cut the grasses with the help of a spinning blade underneath. Make sure the mower you buy comes with a safety blade override so that you can keep yourself safe from potential injuries. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.
Are Electric Mowers Quiet?
Despite high power, these mowers work super quietly. Unlike the regular electric lawn mowers, there will be no excessive noise. Therefore, you’ll be able to mow the lawn anytime you want without worrying about disturbing the neighbors.
Are Electric Mowers Better for The Environment?
The electric mowers are environment-friendly and they cause no harm while operating as they don’t use gasoline or any other fossil fuel to operate. Also, it doesn’t bear any leakage issue that may disrupt the quality of the grass.
Are Electric Lawn Mowers Any Good?
The best things about an electric lawn mower are, its power and long durability. Also, As we said earlier, the electric lawn mower requires no gasoline to operate therefore, there’s no continuous investment required for the fuel.
Furthermore, they are very low-maintenance which makes them super cost-efficient. With proper care and regular maintenance, most electric mowers last for an average of 8-10 years.
Professional Lawn Care Tools
You know! Most electric lawn mowers horsepower enables battery included. Just because they’re not powered with gasoline, don’t think that they’re any less powerful than the gas-powered lawnmowers. All the self-propelled electric mowers that we reviewed here are of excellent quality and very powerful in cutting grasses.
Electric Lawn Mower Maintenance Tips:
Self-propelled electric lawn mowers are low maintenance and easy to operate.
However, following some simple regular procedures will enhance the machine’s performance and increase its life cycle to a great extent.
Types of Mowers
On the market, there are basically two main categories of mowers, walk-behind mowers and riding lawn mowers. The riding lawn mowers are similar to the tractors, are convenient and effective to use and are ideal for large lawns.
The walk-behind mowers, on the other hand, can be divided into four main categories.
- Manual mowers: the simplest models available on the market are the manual mowers, also called reel mowers. These mowers are made of a cylinder of blades and a handle, are suitable for small lawns and are auctioned exclusively by the physical force of the one who is operating them. The cutting quality is generally excellent and they are environmentally friendly since they don’t use any type of fuel.
- Electric mowers: these mowers are powered by electricity from a power cord or battery. They can also be divided into push mowers and self-propelled mowers. The models powered by power cord are typically lighter and easier to maneuver compared to the battery or gasoline powered mowers. They need a little maintenance but are not suitable for large lawns because the power cord is generally not long enough. The battery powered mowers also require little to no maintenance and will give you the freedom of movement. The downside of these mowers is the low autonomy of the batteries.
- Gasoline mowers: more powerful compared to the electrical mowers, these lawn mowers are also manufactured in both push and self-propelled models. They are powered by gasoline, need regular maintenance and are typically heavier than the electric mowers. The cutting quality of these lawn mowers is excellent and they are suitable for all lawn sizes and for all the types of grass. However, they present the disadvantage of being very noisy and they also produce toxic fumes. On the other hand, the storage of gasoline presents a further hazard.
- Robots: these mowers do all the job by themselves and are suitable for small lawns. They make alittle noise, are environmental-friendly and have a low power consumption.
As you can see, when it comes to self-propelled lawn mowers, you can basically choose between an electric or a gasoline lawn mower. Since these types of mowers are also manufactured as push mowers, many lawn owners wonder which ones are best. Let’s see the main differences.
Push or Self-Propelled Mower?
The main difference between the push and the self propelled lawn mowers is that the first ones must be literally pushed during the mowing process, the gasoline or electric power moving only the blade. The self propelled lawn mowers move by themselves. Therefore, you will need to use less physical force, and you will only have to control the direction of the mower.
Self propelled lawn mowers can be divided into front-wheel drive and rear-wheel drive mowers. The front-wheel drive mowers are generally less expensive than the rear-wheel drive and are ideal for flat lawns. These mowers are easy to maneuver since the front wheels swivel. The rear-wheel drive self propelled lawn mowers are suitable for uneven lawns because they have a better traction.
Both electric and gasoline self propelled mowers have great cutting results, and the preference of one over the other is often a personal choice based on habits and commodity. As a general rule, the electric ones are more suitable for small to medium size lawns, while the gasoline models are more suitable for larger lawns.
Since the self-propelled lawn mowers are easier to maneuver and require less physical effort, many lawn owners prefer them over the push reel mowers. So let’s see how to choose the right self-propelled lawn mower.
How to Choose the Right Self-Propelled Lawn Mower?
With so many models available on the market, deciding which is the right self-propelled lawn mower is not easy. Here are a few things to consider before choosing the model.
1. Lawn Size
Based on the size of your lawn you should choose either a gasoline powered or an electric lawn mower. The first ones are ideal for large lawns, while the latter for the small and medium size lawns. You could use a battery powered mower for a large lawn, but consider the autonomy of the battery. You might need to buy additional batteries if you want to mow all the lawn at once.The cutting deck size should also be determined based on the size of the lawn. Small cutting decks are suitable for small lawns and also for narrow spaces, so consider this when choosing the size of the cutting deck.
2. Type of the Lawn
If you have a flat lawn, consider buying a front-wheel drive self-propelled lawn mower. This type of self-propelled mowers is much easier to handle compared to its rear-wheel drive counterpart. On the contrary, if the lawn is uneven, a rear-wheel drive lawn mower is a better choice since it has a better traction.
3. Type of the Grass
If you want to achieve good results, choosing a blade suitable for the type of grass of your lawn is essential. For the thicker types of grass, for example, you will need to choose a powerful mower with a large blade.
4. Engine capacity
Depending on the size of your lawn, you should choose a mower with a small engine capacity if your lawn is small or with a high engine capacity if the lawn is large. Remember that the mowers with high capacity engines are more expensive and also consume more fuel or energy.
If there are any noise restrictions in the area where you live, know that gasoline lawn mowers are noisier compared to their electric counterparts.
6. Features of the Mower
- Bagging and mulching options: this will help you collect the grass easily or transform it into fertilizer.
- Cutting deck material: the most durable cutting decks are made of steel, but they need proper maintenance. Alloy and plastic, on the other hand, don’t rust.
- Safety features: the mowers equipped with safety switches or buttons will keep you and your family safe.
- Starting system: most gasoline mowers start with a pull-cord, but some modern models are equipped with starting buttons that are easier to operate. Electric mowers start with the push of a button.
- Adjustable handle: for your comfort, choose a model with an adjustable handle. For easier storage, the handle should be foldable as well.
- Adjustable cutting height: will make your mower more versatile, allowing you to cut through different types of grass with ease.
7 Essential Electric Lawn Mower Safety Tips:
It’s important that you follow some basic precautionary measures while operating a lawnmower. Below are some of the most essential lawn mowing tips that may save you a trip to the emergency room.
Tips-1: Always read the manual before proceeding with the mower. It might seem like a piece of cake but never start machinery without reading the instruction manual thoroughly.
Tips-2: Have a walk on the lawn before mowing to take away any material during the mowing process.
Tips-3: Wear proper footwear while mowing as that will reduce the potential hazard of injuries.
Tips-4: Never let your children mow the lawn unsupervised. If you want to encourage your child to do chores then stay by their side while they mow the lawn.
Tips-5: Running by an engine and it may get very hot in continuous use. So, Do not touch the hot engine that may lead to severe burn injuries.
Tips-6: Make sure you never drive the mower with the blades out on a gravel driveway. This will deteriorate the quality of the blades and make them dull.
Tips-7: No matter how easy it may seem, never run your fingers to remove a twig or any material while the machine is on. Always switch it off to remove any obstruction from the mower.
Types of Self-Propelled Mowers
There are really two basic types of mowers:
Electric mowers have a bunch of advantages, but also several decided disadvantages. One of the most obvious is the need for cords and other electrical devices. If you have a large lawn, sometimes, even electric mowers with batteries just don’t have enough juice. Many times it is awkward and slightly difficult to use electric models, but you can plug them in, and mow continually. They’re also quieter, cleaner, and much easier to start than gas models. The best models have robust, powerful batteries to eliminate large fields of grass.
Cordless models are handy, but you have to plan on charge time. It usually takes about a hour (sometimes more depending on the model) and you can expect to get about 45 minutes of use out of your battery, depending on how thick and tough a lawn is. If a yard is of less acreage, electric models should have plenty of power. If the thought of charging the battery is unappealing, go for a larger, more robust model to make sure that everything works well for you.
Gas powered motors have several huge advantages than other mowers. They’re pretty much the only affordable option for people with large lawns who are still looking for convenience, and they’re usually far cheaper.
Typically speaking, the cheapest models aren’t the best. Quality mowers are few and far between, especially when it comes to lower priced gas models. Fuel can also get expensive compared to other types of mowers, plus you have to pull them to start- which is a deal breaker for some.
Performing Maintenance on Your Self-Propelled Mower
No matter which mower model you choose, there are several important features to consider when picking your model:
- All excess grass and weeds should be removed from a mower before it’s stored
- Changing out spark plugs and oil levels can prevent clogs and leaks in the future
- Because there are so many moving parts, they should be regularly oiled and stored in a garage during bad weather or during the spring.
- Consider purchasing extended warranties that protect your purchase!
Picking the Perfect Product for Your Needs
It’s important to take time to consider the best aspects of a self-propelled mower before you make your purchase! There are a ton of options on the market when purchasing a self-propelled motor, and the options that we show in our top 5 are the best of the market! Take the time to investigate your particular needs as well.
It’s essential that you think about maintenance, blade preparation, and the terrain in your environment. The bigger the yard, the more extreme the angle of hills and troughs, and the more grass that you’re going to have to mow makes the biggest difference when you’re making your decisions on your purchase! If you have a medium to large sized yard, you’re going to love your new best self-propelled model of lawnmower.